Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I find the total depreciation I have taken on the rental property

I want to know how I can find out the total depreciation I have taken on a rental property

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

TurboTax creates a worksheet called "Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization Report" that is included with your tax return (see screenshot below - click to enlarge). This is a TurboTax worksheet, not an IRS form, that is included in your complete return.

The total of current and prior depreciation for each asset is the accumulated depreciation for the year. This includes all prior and current depreciation taken for the property since you placed it into service.

You can view the current copy of this worksheet in TurboTax for Desktop using Forms Mode. Look for "Depr Report" in the left column.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi. Is the amount reported on the depreciation report above the actual amount of accumulated depreciation taken or is it the maximum amount of depreciation available? I have read elsewhere on this board that it is the maximum available. If it is the maximum, how would you determine the actual amount taken?
clark5584

i would like to know this answer too please.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

As stated earlier, Depreciation is calculated on Form 4562 and is part of your tax return. 

If you use TurboTax year after year and report your rental, the program records the depreciation you take each year and your Form 4562 would be accurate. 

There are several methods to depreciate, and there is also Bonus Depreciation and the Section 179 Deduction that increase the amount you expense and depreciate. 

When you sell a business asset, you often need to Recapture Depreciation or "pay it back" 

With a rental, there is usually Depreciation Recapture which is Ordinary income and the profit which is capital gains. 

The idea behind depreciation is that you are taking a little every year of something that will wear-out and become worthless. Real estate often increases in value, so there can be quite a large adjustment when the rental is sold. 

Additionally, you are not allowed to just 'NOT TAKE" depreciation so that you don't have to recapture it when you sell it. 

If you don't take it year after year, the IRS will still treat you as if you had. 

If you didn't use TurboTax year after year and you don't have good records of what you claimed on the rental, the only thing TurboTax can do is make an honest estimate. 

TurboTax will calculate the depreciation using the most standard method for that asset.

Would that result in the maximum? 

No, actually the program does  not add in Bonus Depreciation nor Section 179 Deductions unless you tell it to , so I would assume the depreciation the TurboTax program would estimate you took would be a very conservative amount. 

@clark5584 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies