Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rmoshea

When I sell a rental property are any of the real estate closing fees tax deductible?

I live in the state of Minnesota.  The property (condo) was rented out for over two years before I decided to get out of that business and sell the property.  The property was never put back into personal use once it was converted to a rental.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
rmoshea

When I sell a rental property are any of the real estate closing fees tax deductible?

I should also mention there were no profits from the sale of this property.  It was actually sold for $40K less than what it was purchased for previously 9 years ago.  Does this mean that there are no tax benefits for any of the associated selling costs?

If this a second home, not your main home, the loss is not deductible in any case.

You can reduce your selling price by the amount of the closing costs paid. Lower selling price produces a lower profit, which in turn lowers your tax bill. .

The following is a list of closing costs that can be deducted from your sales price assuming you paid them:

• Attorney fees in connection with obtaining property
    • Commissions
    • State stamp taxes and transfer taxes
    • Tax service fees
    • Title policy fees or title insurance
    • Miscellaneous abstracts of title, surveys, recording of deed

See I sold my rental property. How do I report that?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1933977-i-sold-my-rental-property-how-do-i-report-that

(Edited 02/06/2016, 6:50 pm, EDT)

See added content above.

What about the Home Protection Policy (like a warranty policy) that we purchased for the buyer?  It is part of the closing costs that we paid for.  Is that something we can add as a sales expense for the rental property?  Please advise.  Thanks.

Can't find a direct answer to your question,  but a home protection warrant is a legitimate deduction for a rental property, so it would seem by extension to be a legitimate cost of sales deduction.

We also paid the California Real Estate Withholding as part of our sale of our rental property when we sold it.  It's listed in the closing costs.  Is that part of the Sales Expense?  Please advise.  Thanks.

I never got an answer to my question 6 days ago.  Here was my question: "We also paid the California Real Estate Withholding as part of our sale of our rental property when we sold it.  It's listed in the closing costs.  Is that part of the Sales Expense?  Please advise.  Thanks."

Thank you for this discussion. Related question: I live in Illinois, which has property taxes. When one sells property, the seller pays the following half-year's or year's property taxes (because the current year's taxes are actually billed the following year). On Schedule E while I owned the rental property, the year's billed taxes are deducted as an expense. So are the taxes that are part of the closing costs listed among the deductions as part of the sale (reducing capital gains), or lumped in with Schedule E expenses? I'm figuring the former but want to make sure. (It may not make a difference or only a minor difference on the overall tax bill in the end, depending on the real estate capital gain tax rate vs. general income tax rate.)

Carl
Level 15

Since you sold the property at a loss, don't waste to much time on this. It's not like you're trying to decrease your tax liability on a taxable gain, since there is no gain to tax.

But do understand that depending on the amount of depreciation taken, you "Might" actually have a profit. But I seriously doubt it, if you only had it classified as a rental for two years. (But in CA, it would not be impossible.)
If you follow the below guidance, the program will take care of the math "for you" under the assumption that you entered everything correctly to begin with, in the first year you started renting out the property.

- Fees associated with the acquisition/deposition of the loan (your existing loan) are flat out deducted.

Fees associated with acquisition/disposition of the property (such as title transfer fees) are added to the cost basis of the property.

Reporting the Sale of Rental Property

If you qualify for the "lived in 2 of last 5 years" capital gains exclusion, then when prompted you WILL indicate that this sale DOES INCLUDE the sale of your main home. For AD MIL personnel who don't qualify because of PCS orders, select this option anyway, because you "MIGHT" qualify for at last a partial exclusion.

Start working through Rental & Royalty Income (SCH E) "AS IF" you did not sell the property. One of the screens near the start will ahve a selection on it for "I sold or otherwise disposed of this property in  2019". Select it. After you select the "I sold or otherwise disposed of this property in 2019" you continue working it through "as if" you still own it. When you come to the summary screen you will enter all of your rental income and expenses, even it it's zero. Then you MUST work through the "Sale of Assets/Depreciation" section. You must work through each individual asset one at a time to report its disposition (in your case, all your rental assets were sold).

Understand that if more than the property itself is listed in your assets list, then you need to allocate your sales price across all of your assets.  You will only allocate the structure sales price; you will NOT allocate the land sales price, since the land is not a depreciable asset.  Then if you sold this rental at a gain, you must show a gain on all assets, even if that gain is $1. Likewise, if you sold at a loss then you must show a loss on all assets, even if that loss is $1

Basically, when working through an asset you select the option for "I stopped using this asset in 2019" and go from there. Note that you MUST do this for EACH AND EVERY asset listed.

When you finish working through everything listed in the assets section, if you ever at any time you owned this rental you claimed vehicle expenses, then you must also work through the vehicle section and show the disposition of the vehicle. Most likely, your vehicle disposition will be "removed for personal use", as I seriously doubt you sold your vehicle as a part of this rental sale.

This answer about the original post is turning out to be very helpful. I realized I was wrongly completing the "Sale of a business asset" section when I should just note the disposition of the rental property -- as well as related depreciating assets.

So how do you spread the sales price (and the expenses of the sale) over the depreciating assets? Proportionally? Like, I had electrical rewiring done -- I have to figure out some sort of sales price for it? 

tsch

I have a similar  situation and could not find a definite  answer. Did you get an answer by now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies