Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

endi195
Returning Member

When entering Rent Paid and Rent Adjustments for New York, should I put the amount I personally paid or what we paid as a household to rent the apartment for 12 months?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
GloriaL
Expert Alumni

When entering Rent Paid and Rent Adjustments for New York, should I put the amount I personally paid or what we paid as a household to rent the apartment for 12 months?

On your New York State tax return when entering rent paid you will need to enter the total rent that you and all members of your household paid during 2020; do not include any subsidized part of your rental charge. If any part of your residence was rented by someone who was not a member of your household, do not include the rent paid by this individual.

For the rent adjustment line, you would enter rent paid after subtracting any charges for heat, gas, electricity, furnishings, and board, if that applies to your situation.

For additional information, please refer to: New York State: Real Property Tax Credit

endi195
Returning Member

That was very helpful. Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies