Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if I paid 2014 and 2015 real estate taxes on my rental property in 2016. Do I list that under real estate taxes or other taxes under my rental property section?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

What if I paid 2014 and 2015 real estate taxes on my rental property in 2016. Do I list that under real estate taxes or other taxes under my rental property section?

It depends.

If you paid back taxes for the 2014 and 2015 tax year in 2016, you can list the full amount paid under the real estate tax section (combined with the 2016 property taxes) under rental expenses.

However, if you paid these 2014 and 2015 property taxes in 2014 and 2015 respectively, you will need to amend your 2014 and 2015 tax returns to include these property taxes on your Schedule E for those prior years.

Click How to Amend a Return You Already Filed for more information about amending a prior year return

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

It depends.

If you paid back taxes for the 2014 and 2015 tax year in 2016, you can list the full amount paid under the real estate tax section (combined with the 2016 property taxes) under rental expenses.

However, if you paid these 2014 and 2015 property taxes in 2014 and 2015 respectively, you will need to amend your 2014 and 2015 tax returns to include these property taxes on your Schedule E for those prior years.

Click How to Amend a Return You Already Filed for more information about amending a prior year return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies