Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

res0me5h

What are the tax penalties/repayment when I sell my rental property? How can I avoid penalties?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What are the tax penalties/repayment when I sell my rental property? How can I avoid penalties?

The direct answer to your direct question - now that we know that you're talking about depreciation recapture - is "you can't" except if you properly do a Sec 1031 ("Starker") exchange.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/starker-exchange-lets-you-defer-capital-gains-taxes-on-inv...

Of course that really doesn't "avoid" the recapture, but it does delay it.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Tax penalties?  Don't think there are any.  You have to pay tax on the recaptured depreciation and on any gain if you sell it for more.

What penalties or repayment are you referring to?  Did you not report the rental property income or depreciation for prior tax years?
res0me5h

"Penalties" was obviously an incorrect word.  I should have said repayment against prior year depreciation deductions.... Thanks.
res0me5h

So the only 'relief' I may get is if I use the rental as my primary residence for 24 months?

Depreciation will still be recaptured.
res0me5h

Thanks, Tom!  Your info was REALLY helpful!

The direct answer to your direct question - now that we know that you're talking about depreciation recapture - is "you can't" except if you properly do a Sec 1031 ("Starker") exchange.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/starker-exchange-lets-you-defer-capital-gains-taxes-on-inv...

Of course that really doesn't "avoid" the recapture, but it does delay it.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies