turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Single family home rental property had shed destroyed by Hurricane Florence. No insurance coverage. How do I claim loss? Can replacement be deducted in this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Bees
Level 7

Single family home rental property had shed destroyed by Hurricane Florence. No insurance coverage. How do I claim loss? Can replacement be deducted in this year?

were you depreciating it as a separate item on your schedule E.  A new shed would be depreciated also <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/rental-property/real-estate-tax-and-rental-property/L3e09vT71">...>
Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

You can claim a casualty loss for your shed destroyed by Hurricane Florence using  Form 4684.  You can access Form 4684 in TurboTax Premier by entering 4684, casualties and theft in the find box then click on Jump to 4684, casualties and theft in the results box.  Follow the program prompts to enter your casualty loss information.  The loss can be taken on your 2018 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies