turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Josh_25
Returning Member

Unable to file Robinhood taxes due to the sale of a free Robinhood Stock

Hello, 

I am desperately hopeful someone can help me with this issue. After uploading my Robinhood trading history in TurboTax Premier, I am shown two separate forms, Robinhood Securities LLC - 1099-B, and Robinhood Securities LLC - 1099-MISC.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.46.29 PM.png

The 1099-MISC is for a free share I sold that was given to me by Robinhood for signing up, here is the description of the property.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 12.07.58 AM.png

When finalizing my taxes, I am struck with three 'Check This Entry' pages, all of which using technical jargon pertaining to the free stock issued to me by Robinhood, in relation with my 1099-B. See below:

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.52.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.53.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.53.37 PM.png

I cannot for the life of me figure out what needs to be changed to prevent these 'Check This Entry' pages from arising before finalizing my taxes. 

Please help!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Try deleting the 1099-B import  and then entering it again manually. 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Check to see if the 1099-MISC was entered as a 1099-MISC.

If that 1099-MISC is associated with a Schedule C (self-employment income for a trader business you operate) you could double-click that box and you should be able to select your Schedule C.

If on the other hand it is a promotional payment associated with personal investing, that 1099-MISC is not self-employment income, and when you enter the 1099-MISC you should designate it a "Robinhood incentive", and on the next screen designate it as either "prize winnings" or "manufacturer's incentive" depending on which you consider it to be. 

You go to the Wages and Income>>Income from Form 1099-MISC section to check the entry of your 1099-MISC.

If you also sold that stock during the year, you have a "basis" in the promotional stock equal to the amount you reported from the 1099-MISC as income when you received the stock (which is equal to the fair market value when you receive the stock).  So, when you sell the stock, the difference between what you received (proceeds) and that cost basis is a gain or loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies