Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax won't let me put $0 for additional rental income

My management company for my rental property changed the way they report income since last year. Last year I reported it in the "Cash, checks, Form 1099-K" category because they did not issue a 1099-MISC. This year, they issued a 1099-MISC instead, so I put it in the 1099-MISC category. However, TurboTax will not let me enter $0 in the "Cash, checks, Form 1099-K" category, nor will it let me delete it. I click on the delete icon and confirm, but the category is still there. (I also checked, there is no 1099-K in my forms to delete.)

TurboTax also keeps asking me to review this category when I get to the review at the end and try to file. What do I do here? It seems like a bug in TurboTax. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

To clear this area, try deleting it or entering $1, then returning to this area and deleting the entry.

To do this, follow these steps:

• In the search box, enter rental property.
  • Click the Jump to link in the search results.
  • Click Edit by the rental property in question.
  • Select Add Income (box in lower left).
  • At Select your type of income, select Cash, checks, Venmo/Paypal, and/or Form 1099-K and click the trash can icon to Delete OR 
    • enter any amount and Continue.
    • this will return you to the Rental Property Income & Expense Summary, but you should have a trash can icon to delete the invalid income now and eliminate the unneeded category.

For more information about rentals, see: Real Estate Tax and Rental Property - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

Hi, thank you for the response. I can confirm that this solution does *not* work. Entering in $1 and then trying to delete it by clicking on the trashcan icon does not get rid of the category, it just resets it as "Needs Review." There appears to be no way to delete the category, as no combination of values allows the trashcan icon to function.

I have also tried this on a different device, a different browser, and after clearing my cache/cookies.

Did you find a solution? I finally sat down to do my taxes and am done except for having the exact same problem. I'm definitely having issues trying to figure this out. I'd definitely appreciate you telling me how you solved the problem of deleting the 1099-K. Or if you filed as is anyway without any issues.

Hi! I actually haven't found any solution to this yet, nor have I filed. I've contacted TurboTax by phone and on Twitter, but so far no one has been able to help me.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Enter $1 in "Cash, checks, Form 1099-K" and leave it there; this will allow you to proceed with and file your return

An additional $1 of income won't affect your tax calculation in any meaningful way. If that concerns you, enter an offsetting expense of $1 in "Miscellaneous Expenses"

So there's no way to delete it? We just have to leave it on there? What about next year? Will this make it continue to show up?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Without a diagnostic copy of your return it would be hard to know why you can't eliminate this entry altogether (and that might not work).

Since there isn't an interview for the 1099-K, the only way you would have had a carry-over entry was if you had made a direct entry in this field last year. There isn't any reason I am aware of that would keep you from leaving that field blank this year. 

The work-around (entering "$1") is the easiest way to get past the issue and won't affect your tax calculation in any noticeable way.

Carl
Level 15

Wait a minute. Where *exactly* are you reading the words "Cash, checks, Form 1099-K" ??? Now I'm using the CD version of Home and Business, and I don't see that combination of words anywhere in the rental income section. In fact, I'm never asked for checks or 1099-K income anywhere in the SCH E section of the program. I suspect that you are not entering your rental income in the Rental & Royalty Income (SCH E) section of the program, but are entering it (possibly incorrectly) elsewhere in the program.

The rental income sub-section of the SCH E section of the program only gives you three choices for reporting income.

1) cash rental income

2) 1099-MISC rental income

3) A mix of 1099-MISC and cash rental income.

I'm referring to the screen below, which is displayed when I click the "income" section of the SCH E.

rental income.png

This is for the online version. It puts cash, checks, and Form 1099-K in the same category. It looks like this. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 7.27.36 AM.png

Carl
Level 15

Al I see is "income". I have no way of confirming one way or the other, that where you're at is for "rental" income. Wish I could be of more help on this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies