turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dideaton

Turbo Tax wants me to enter a royalty information on Schedule E when I do not have royalties. I have rental income but not royalties. How do I fix this problem.

TurboTax will not let me file online unless I fix this. I have tried multiple times with no success. Can someone please help?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax wants me to enter a royalty information on Schedule E when I do not have royalties. I have rental income but not royalties. How do I fix this problem.

If you received form 1099-MISC, make sure you reported the rental income in TurboTax in box 1.

Royalty income is income received from allowing someone to use your property. Royalty payments for the use of patents, copyrighted works, natural resources, or franchises are most common.

Revisit the Royalty section to delete anything that might be there.

• Login to your account.
  • Select Federal from the left menu
  • Go to Wages and Income then Income and Expenses.
  • Scroll down to Rental Properties and Royalties and click Revisit.
  • Select Edit beside any property that is untitled or that shows Royalties
  • Use the trash can or click delete to remove it.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same issue for one of our two rental properties.  I have gone back through that property twice and it is not untitled and is indicated as a rental, not royalty, property; but TurboTax demands a royalty amount be entered before I can file electronically.  I have tried entering small amounts, but it still revisits the royalty amount for just that one property and will not let us file.

This doesn't seem to work. I'm having the same problem and cannot get past it.

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

@scottdc1

Please clarify how you entered your rental income - under the Form 1099-MISC topic or under Rental Properties and Royalties? Have you confirmed that you entered the income in Box 1 (Rents) and not Box 2 (Royalties)?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have three rentals in FL that are all reported under the same 1099 MISC. I entered the rents for each separately under Box 1 this year. Last year I did not receive a 1099. Now, even though everything is complete and I have paid TTax, I cannot finish or file my taxes because it insists I must have royalties for these three properties.

By the way, the rent for one of the properties is 0, because the tenant abused the federal eviction moratorium.

The error was that Turbo Tax had entered $0 on the Schedule E Worksheet. I had to go in and delete the $0 that TurboTax entered into Box 4 of the worksheet to get it to work. That was another Turbo Tax glitch that cost me HOURS of work needlessly. Your product is really not what it used to be.

Thank you to scottdc1. His comment was spot on and fixed my issue. You simply have to delete the "0." to make it stop acting like there is a royalty to be entered and you will be able to proceed with filing. If I had not seen the comment I might have wasted lots of time having to file by mail. Simple programming glitch that boggles the mind how Turbo Tax has not fixed it with the amount of undeserved revenue they bring in.

cbarta

This is still an issue in 2023, but this was the only way for me to get around it. Just leave the royalties box blank in the Schedule E form (at the very end during the final review of the entire form).

Hec1
Level 1

I left the box blank as suggested in a previous post and was able to pass this. not sure this is the right way at the end as I am not an expert. I rely on turbotax guidance and this was the only way to pass this stage.

sfsi0001
Returning Member

...to be even more specific - in this case, 2023 online version - actually type space/blank over that '0' .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies