Solved: Transferring a rental property to an LLC

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Transferring a rental property to an LLC

My wife and I have owned a rental property for over 5 years.  Income and expenses were reported on a schedule E.  While doing estate planning, our attorney suggested we move the property to an LLC which was formed on 3/30/2020.  Since there were no liens (or debt), the attorney transferred the property to the LLC.  Based on the posts I read, this may have been a bad idea, but it's done and I need to report my earnings.

Do I just continue to report the income and expenses on the schedule E or do I need to create a new property affective 3/30 and close the old property?

Any help, guidance, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 10

@BrotherRick wrote:

And to clarify, it is a single member LLC.

For income tax purposes, a Single Member LLC is "disregarded" (assuming the LLC has not elected to be taxed as a corporation).

That means you report it exactly as if YOU owned it.  So yes, it goes on Schedule E and for income tax purposes can be reported as if nothing changed.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Level 15

Unless you have to file a partnership return for the LLC  you can just leave the rental on your personal return Sch E like you have in the past. 

Level 2

Just to verify, I don't have to add a new property and close/end the one I've been using for years?

Thanks for the quick and very helpful response!

Level 2

Level 10

@BrotherRick wrote:

For income tax purposes, a Single Member LLC is "disregarded" (assuming the LLC has not elected to be taxed as a corporation).

That means you report it exactly as if YOU owned it.  So yes, it goes on Schedule E and for income tax purposes can be reported as if nothing changed.

View solution in original post

Level 2

Thank You!  I sincerely appreciate the prompt response.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings