Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in California but I have rental property in Colorado. I pay Colorado tax on the rental income. Do I also have to pay California tax on this property?

I have one rental property in California that generated $4,768 in income for 2016.

I have four rental properties in Colorado that generated a total of $10,804 in income for 2016.

The total for the Federal return is $15,590.

TurboTax Premier shows a "Rental or Royalty Adjustment" of $14,574 for the 2016 California state tax return. Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

I live in California but I have rental property in Colorado. I pay Colorado tax on the rental income. Do I also have to pay California tax on this property?

The rule is: the state you live in gets to tax all of your income regardless of where it comes from, and a state gets to tax income earned or located within it.

So both CA & CO get to tax your CO rental income. The good news is that TT/Calif will prepare a tax credit for some or all of the CO tax on the income that both states are taxing to help prevent double taxation. Prepare the nonresident CO return first, then the resident CA return.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

The rule is: the state you live in gets to tax all of your income regardless of where it comes from, and a state gets to tax income earned or located within it.

So both CA & CO get to tax your CO rental income. The good news is that TT/Calif will prepare a tax credit for some or all of the CO tax on the income that both states are taxing to help prevent double taxation. Prepare the nonresident CO return first, then the resident CA return.

CL6
Level 2

What if I didn't do the state with rental income first, how do I update this? Thanks in advance.
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Ultimately, it doesn't matter which is "first" as long as the resident state has a chance to calculate AFTER the nonresident state is completed.
CL6
Level 2

Thanks, again, TTTerry.

TTTerry,
I wanted to check - I live in CA, have rental property in MI. When doing the CA tax, after the single-member LLC question, there’s a screen 'Other Expenses - Rental Use Only' It says ‘… Also, if any of the transferred (from the federal return) amounts need to be adjusted for California purposes, make those adjustments below.”
My question is, do I need to make any adjustments?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies