Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

asis-basu

The rental home

The rental home I sold in 2018 was NOT my primary home.  I mentioned in the upfront that we sold our rental home. TurboTax did not ask me to enter information about the sell of the home.  Please help!!!  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
asis-basu

The rental home

I did enter the rental or royalty income and expenses section.  
Also, entered
Rental income
Rental expenses
Capital assets and depreciation
Vehicle expenses

but never was asked by Turbo tax about the information pertaining the sale of this rental home.  I declared upfront that we sold a home that is not our primary home
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

The rental home

It is under the depreciation/ sale section.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

The rental home

In the first screen shot in my answer, you indicate that you sold your home. If will not "ask" you, it provides a place for you to tell the program.
asis-basu

The rental home

are you from turbotax?
is there any way someone look at it?  I'm done for all the other parts.  And stuck on this piece.  And I dont have enough money to pay for the "call" feature.  This is my seventh year of using turbotax.  I thought Intuit would give me the opportunity to talk to a live person . i know i did not enter my sale price, the commission, etc.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

The rental home

The support phone number is  800-446-8848
 The information I have given should solve any problem. As you go through the program, indicate that you sold the property on the first screen showing in my answer. As you progress, enter that you sold it on the date in 2018, say that you used it 100% for business and that you had zero personal days. It will generate the sales information based on the amount you put when you first converted the property to business use vs the sales price. You will have to recapture depreciation.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

The rental home

You enter the sale of your rental home in the rental section. If you have not previously entered your rental property in the program, you will need to set the house up from scratch and enter a profile. There will be two places to indicate the sale. Please see the screen shots below.

To enter the rental:

Go into your TurboTax return. Not sure you're in there? Click on the orange Take me to my return button.

1. Search for rentals and then click the "Jump to" link in the search result.
  2. Answer Yes to the question Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses?
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions as you proceed through the rental and royalties section.
  • We'll first ask you to enter general information about your rental (description, address, ownership percentage, etc.) 
  • Eventually, you'll come to the Rental Summary screen which is where you enter your:
    • Rental income
    • Rental expenses
    • Capital assets and depreciation
    • Vehicle expenses

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies