turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jp771

Tenant moved out and we did not try to rent again and don't live there. Can I deduct mortgage interest and real-estate tax for the remainder of the year?

tenant moved out July 3rd of 2016. Property is vacant and not listed. Since I make over 150k, I can't deduct the income loss. Since you can't deduct mortgage interest and real-estate tax on a rental, wanted to classify it as something else - but the only option I saw was to convert to personal use. However no one is using the property so I don't think that applies.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Tenant moved out and we did not try to rent again and don't live there. Can I deduct mortgage interest and real-estate tax for the remainder of the year?

Indicate under the Property Profile section that you 'sold or disposed of this property' in 2016. This will allow you to enter the expenses you had up to the date it was no longer a rental. 

Then navigate to the Sale of Property/Depreciation section to edit the asset summary with the disposal date. The term disposal means, sold, retired, converted, etc. Continue on to calculate remaining depreciation. 

Dispose of any other assets in your summary in a similar fashion. Then deduct the proportionate share of interest/property taxes for the rest of the year on the personal side of your return.

See attachments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Indicate under the Property Profile section that you 'sold or disposed of this property' in 2016. This will allow you to enter the expenses you had up to the date it was no longer a rental. 

Then navigate to the Sale of Property/Depreciation section to edit the asset summary with the disposal date. The term disposal means, sold, retired, converted, etc. Continue on to calculate remaining depreciation. 

Dispose of any other assets in your summary in a similar fashion. Then deduct the proportionate share of interest/property taxes for the rest of the year on the personal side of your return.

See attachments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies