Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stock transactions in an import posted; however, the Section 1256 Contracts did not post under Contracts and Straddles. Should they have posted ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Stock transactions in an import posted; however, the Section 1256 Contracts did not post under Contracts and Straddles. Should they have posted ?

Regulated Futures Contracts” (e.g., Section 1256 contracts) from Form 1099-B are not supported by the Turbo Tax® import

Please follow steps below to enter commodity futures contracts:

1. Federal 
  2. Income & Expenses
  3. Scroll down to Investment Income & Click on "Show More"
  4. Click Start next to "Contracts and Straddles" & Answer Yes
  5. Continue and enter your Section 1256 contracts
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Regulated Futures Contracts” (e.g., Section 1256 contracts) from Form 1099-B are not supported by the Turbo Tax® import

Please follow steps below to enter commodity futures contracts:

1. Federal 
  2. Income & Expenses
  3. Scroll down to Investment Income & Click on "Show More"
  4. Click Start next to "Contracts and Straddles" & Answer Yes
  5. Continue and enter your Section 1256 contracts

What do you mean, "They aren't supported?". You cannot offer a convenience import of financial documents and then fail to process the imports - especially without informing me. This makes me seriously question the integrity of your product. If you didn't import this, then what else is your program missing? If I had not noticed the discrepancy and relied on your product, I might have been subject to a substantial fine by the IRS.

gator3
Returning Member

I agree. What else are we missing?

As not professional trader I was shocked. System told me that import successful but it took me so much time to figure out where all my real numbers gone.

Best part: I almost sent forms to irs but couldn't do it because the data that were actually imported (not 1256 transactions) from Interactive brokers also was corrupt and it asked me to correct it.

Ended up deleting imported data and entering everything manually.

you can't import into Form 6781.

You enter just one dollar amount for this:  Line 11 of your Futures 1099-B.

How hard can it be ?

Is it not one entry per options transaction?  An options trader has hundreds if not thousands of option trades per year.

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

To the extent a taxpayer has multiple Section 1256 contracts to report, Form 6781, Gains and Losses From Section 1256 Contracts and Straddles will include only the summary of all transactions.  In effect, the taxpayer makes one line entry for all applicable transactions.  In the case of multiple transactions, the taxpayer will need to attach a separate statement listing each straddle.  A Section 1256 does not include, among other things, options on a securities future contract, and therefore, those type of options are not included on Form 6781.  

@Sam Shaw 

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies