Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chicago_6
Returning Member

Sold rental for 160k. Paid closing costs for borrower of 11k, 4500 seller contr:; 100 option fee, title premium adj of 1076, 1126 in taxes. Can I report sale as 142k

Sold rental for 160k.  Paid closing costs for borrower of 11k, 4500 seller contribution, 100 option fee, title premium adjustment of $1076, 1126 in taxes.  Can I report sale as @ $142k, or do I have to report as $160k? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Sold rental for 160k. Paid closing costs for borrower of 11k, 4500 seller contr:; 100 option fee, title premium adj of 1076, 1126 in taxes. Can I report sale as 142k

You can, yes.  Or, you can choose to report the sale at 160K, and then report the expenses separately.  The result will be the same. 

In TurboTax, you follow these instructions to pull up your rental home sale as described in this FAQ:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3388350.  You should be given the option to list the net proceeds (which is the Sales Price minus sales expenses) or check a box with sales expenses.  If you choose the latter, enter the full price of the sale and use the check box to detail the individual expenses you list above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You can, yes.  Or, you can choose to report the sale at 160K, and then report the expenses separately.  The result will be the same. 

In TurboTax, you follow these instructions to pull up your rental home sale as described in this FAQ:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3388350.  You should be given the option to list the net proceeds (which is the Sales Price minus sales expenses) or check a box with sales expenses.  If you choose the latter, enter the full price of the sale and use the check box to detail the individual expenses you list above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies