turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bartonejb

How do I claim common areas used by 2 roomers in my home? kitchen, dining room, Tv room, part of garage.

In addition to the exclusive use of their bedrooms, the roomers share many areas of the house with my wife and myself.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I claim common areas used by 2 roomers in my home? kitchen, dining room, Tv room, part of garage.

Since the renters only have exclusive use of their bedrooms and the rest are areas you also use, you can't really deduct the entire house as an expense but you can use "any reasonable method for dividing the expenses"  

This means if there are a total of 4 people in the house and 2 of them are renters, then you can deduct 50% of the expenses for the time that the property is rented by 2 roomers.  So, if they rent the rooms for the entire year, then 50% of mortgage interest, property taxes, maintenance, etc, would be deductible.  If you rent it less than the entire year you would need to first determine the expenses for the time it was rented and then deduct 50% of the expenses during the time it is rented, not the full year.

You could also allocate the expenses based on the rooms in your house or the square footage of the bedrooms they are renting divided by the entire square footage of the home. 

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Since the renters only have exclusive use of their bedrooms and the rest are areas you also use, you can't really deduct the entire house as an expense but you can use "any reasonable method for dividing the expenses"  

This means if there are a total of 4 people in the house and 2 of them are renters, then you can deduct 50% of the expenses for the time that the property is rented by 2 roomers.  So, if they rent the rooms for the entire year, then 50% of mortgage interest, property taxes, maintenance, etc, would be deductible.  If you rent it less than the entire year you would need to first determine the expenses for the time it was rented and then deduct 50% of the expenses during the time it is rented, not the full year.

You could also allocate the expenses based on the rooms in your house or the square footage of the bedrooms they are renting divided by the entire square footage of the home. 

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies