• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Francia3000
Level 1

Should I stop depreciating my rental property for this year if I see that in any case that depreciation will not generate any savings? I could then start it again later?

I have been depreciating it for many years. Still have 7 years or so left. I won't save anything this year from depreciating it. Hence my question! Thanks!
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tagteam
Level 15

Should I stop depreciating my rental property for this year if I see that in any case that depreciation will not generate any savings? I could then start it again later?

You cannot stop and restart depreciation deductions unless you actually take the rental property out of service.

If the property is still being used as a rental, the depreciation deduction for this year will be subject to recapture when the property is ultimately sold regardless of whether or not you took the deduction.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
tagteam
Level 15

You cannot stop and restart depreciation deductions unless you actually take the rental property out of service.

If the property is still being used as a rental, the depreciation deduction for this year will be subject to recapture when the property is ultimately sold regardless of whether or not you took the deduction.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings