turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I stop depreciating my rental property for this year if I see that in any case that depreciation will not generate any savings? I could then start it again later?

I have been depreciating it for many years. Still have 7 years or so left. I won't save anything this year from depreciating it. Hence my question! Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I stop depreciating my rental property for this year if I see that in any case that depreciation will not generate any savings? I could then start it again later?

You cannot stop and restart depreciation deductions unless you actually take the rental property out of service.

If the property is still being used as a rental, the depreciation deduction for this year will be subject to recapture when the property is ultimately sold regardless of whether or not you took the deduction.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You cannot stop and restart depreciation deductions unless you actually take the rental property out of service.

If the property is still being used as a rental, the depreciation deduction for this year will be subject to recapture when the property is ultimately sold regardless of whether or not you took the deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies