Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I delete a rental property that I still own from my taxes because it was vacant all of last year and I received no income. Can I write off the property taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Should I delete a rental property that I still own from my taxes because it was vacant all of last year and I received no income. Can I write off the property taxes?

You should delete the rental property, but make a note of the cost of the house and assets along with accumulated depreciation numbers, as you'll need them in the future if you sell the property or rent it out again.

You can deduct the property taxes as an itemized deduction, but it will only benefit you if you have enough in itemized deductions so that they are more than your standard deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

If you just delete the SCH E, then you will lose all of your PAL carry over losses and all of your depreciation history. You need to do one of two things.

1. If you were not actively trying to rent the property, you need to convert the property and all assets in the Assets/Depreciation section to personal use with an effective date of when you stopped trying to rent it. After your return is filed *AND* accepted by the IRS, you need to print out three documents and file them for future need.

a. Two form 4562's that print in landscape format. One is titled "Depreciation and Amortization Report" and the other is "Alternative Minimum Tax Report".

b. IRS Form 8582-Passive Activity Loss Limitations. If this document is not present in your completed and filed tax return, that just means you have no carry over losses.

You will need these forms when one of three things happens in your future.

- You sell the property

- You convert the property back to a rental.

- You die.

If you were actively trying to rent the property the whole year, then you can leave it and still claim valid rental expenses (mortgage interest, property taxes, insurance, repairs, etc.). The fact you would be reporting zero rental income just doesn't matter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies