turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I claim the $57,000 loss on my rental property even if I never claimed the rental income and expenses on prior returns?

Bought home for $302,000 in 2006. Lived it in for 3 years. Started renting it out in 2009 and rented it every year until I sold it last February for $245,000. I never claimed the rental income or expenses on a tax return primarily because I never profited. Can I claim the loss plus sales commissions despite not filing "correctly" in the past?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanO

Should I claim the $57,000 loss on my rental property even if I never claimed the rental income and expenses on prior returns?

No, it doesn't look like you wouldn't actually have a loss.

You converted your primary residence in 2009 and when this was done the value of the rental property would be the lower of 1) the adjusted basis on the date of conversion, or 2) the property's fair market value (FMV) at the time of conversion.

The over the next 8+ years the rental property would depreciate over a 27.5 years period.  So if your rental was worth 315,000 at conversion time.  The depreciation whether actually taken or not would be $315,000 / 27.5 = 11,455 per year.  This would amount to $91,640 that would need to be recaptured.  So you would have no loss.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanO

No, it doesn't look like you wouldn't actually have a loss.

You converted your primary residence in 2009 and when this was done the value of the rental property would be the lower of 1) the adjusted basis on the date of conversion, or 2) the property's fair market value (FMV) at the time of conversion.

The over the next 8+ years the rental property would depreciate over a 27.5 years period.  So if your rental was worth 315,000 at conversion time.  The depreciation whether actually taken or not would be $315,000 / 27.5 = 11,455 per year.  This would amount to $91,640 that would need to be recaptured.  So you would have no loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies