turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wac764
Returning Member

sale of rental house

I sold my rental house. When I go through the forms one of them has the price I sold it for and the second one ask the expenses of sale the third ask sale price of the land and the fourth expense of sale of the land.  

I have two questions   1. Does the expense include the original purchase price ?

2. The property was in the city and the land was not separated from the building, what do I put in the slot?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

sale of rental house

No, the sales expenses do not include the original purchase price. The basis is your rental's original purchase price plus settlement costs at time of purchase (abstract, legal and recording fees, surveys, transfer taxes, and owner's title insurance).

For the land you can use the property tax assessor's values from your property tax statement to compute a ratio of the value of the land to the building. If you can't find this then multiply the purchase price by 25% to get a land value.(IRS How do you determine the value of land in rental property?)

Please see I sold my rental property. How do I report that? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

sale of rental house

No, the sales expenses do not include the original purchase price. The basis is your rental's original purchase price plus settlement costs at time of purchase (abstract, legal and recording fees, surveys, transfer taxes, and owner's title insurance).

For the land you can use the property tax assessor's values from your property tax statement to compute a ratio of the value of the land to the building. If you can't find this then multiply the purchase price by 25% to get a land value.(IRS How do you determine the value of land in rental property?)

Please see I sold my rental property. How do I report that? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

sale of rental house

If you can't figure the ratio with your property tax bill, then use your cost basis to figure the ratio

Example:

Property purchased for $100,000 and $25,000 of that is allocated to the land. That makes the structure cost basis $75,000

During your ownership you put on a new roof at a cost of $10,000 Now your new cost basis is $110,000 with the structure value at $85,000 and the land still at $25,000

You sold the property for $200,000. You need to allocate that sales price between land an structure/other assets.

Doing the math, your $25,000 originally allocated to the land is 23% of your total cost basis. (rounded to nearest whole number)

Then, 23% of your $200,000 sales price is $46,000.

So with that I would report the sales price of the land at $46,000

Then, the remaining $154,000 is allocated to the structure. If more than one depreciable asset, then the remaining $154,000 is split among those assets.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies