Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting covered call transaction without a 1099B form. Provided with a 1042-S form instead with no information about capital gains.

My employer stock and retirement funds are with Fidelity and due to confusion about being perceived to be a non-resident for tax purposes, I've been receiving a 1042-S form for the past 2 years. Unfortunately, in 2022 I also made an option transaction as follows:

• Sold a call contract on 08/24 and received a premium of $22.31
  • From this amount, a $5.35 tax was withheld (at a rate of 24% I believe). The rest of the amount was transferred to the cash part of my portfolio
  • I bought back the contract on 08/26 for $4.03 and made a net profit of $18.28

This transaction isn't reflected on the 1042-S. Fidelity doesn't seem to have a clue as to whether I'll receive a tax document with this transaction or not. Some representatives think I will receive a grantor letter showing this, while some say the letter won't show this. Some also say that the transaction has not been reported to the IRS and that I won't receive a grantor letter, which seems insane to think about.

My questions are these:

1. What is a grantor letter in this case and does it apply to me? If it does and I receive it, how do I use it to file taxes on TurboTax premium?
  2. Can I use my statement for the month of August to file this stock transaction myself? I tried adding the transaction without a 1099-B on TurboTax with a cost basis of $4.03 and gross proceeds of $22.31. The sale date was 08/26 and the buy date was 08/24. I also stated that $5.35 Federal Tax was withheld. I live in WA where I don't have state tax. The August statement shows that tax was withheld and not whether it was state or federal tax. The 1042-S form also has my old address in MA and I suspect that's just an error on their part and that I don't owe any taxes to MA as I didn't even live there during 2022. 1042-S has amounts only on Federal Tax withheld, so I believe I just owe Federal Taxes here. 
  3. Can I indicate this as a Short Term covered transaction? I don't know if Fidelity has reported the transaction and the cost basis and it'd be ridiculous if they don't. Will there be a discrepancy if Fidelity doesn't report it?
  4. Also, if my way of reporting it is right, will I get an error later as the sale date is before the buy date? I haven't gotten one yet, but if I do, should I flip those dates?
  5. Is it valid to report a transaction without a corresponding tax statement that shows it? Can I use TurboTax to file my taxes and do I need to keep a copy of my monthly statements for this purpose?

I know it's a complicated question, but any help would be appreciated. 

@DaveF1006@DanaB27@SharonD007@JohnW152@tagteam 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies