Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental property and primary residence mortgages rolled into one loan, how do I claim mortgage interest on the rental property? I only got one 1098 for the combined loan.

How to separate rental property mortgage interest from a combined loan including my primary residence?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Rental property and primary residence mortgages rolled into one loan, how do I claim mortgage interest on the rental property? I only got one 1098 for the combined loan.

You need to manually calculate the amounts.

For example, lets say the total loan is for $500,000, and $200,000 was use for "acquisition debt" (purchase price and improvements) to your main home.  Let's also say that $250,000 was used for rental purposes and $50,000 was used for other things.

That means that 40% ($200,000 divided by $500,000) of your interest is allocated for your personal mortgage interest, 50% ($250,000 divided by $500,000) of the mortgage interest is allocated to rental expenses, and 10% ($50,000 divided by $500,0000) is allocated for 'other' interest.

So for 2017, you can enter 50% for rental interest and 50% for personal mortgage interest (assuming the 'other' loan amount is less than $100,000).

For 2018, you can enter 50% for the rental interest and 40% for personal mortgage interest (the 'other' interest is no longer deductible starting in 2018).

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Which property is the mortgage actually on?

Sorry, the mortgage is on my primary home.

You need to manually calculate the amounts.

For example, lets say the total loan is for $500,000, and $200,000 was use for "acquisition debt" (purchase price and improvements) to your main home.  Let's also say that $250,000 was used for rental purposes and $50,000 was used for other things.

That means that 40% ($200,000 divided by $500,000) of your interest is allocated for your personal mortgage interest, 50% ($250,000 divided by $500,000) of the mortgage interest is allocated to rental expenses, and 10% ($50,000 divided by $500,0000) is allocated for 'other' interest.

So for 2017, you can enter 50% for rental interest and 50% for personal mortgage interest (assuming the 'other' loan amount is less than $100,000).

For 2018, you can enter 50% for the rental interest and 40% for personal mortgage interest (the 'other' interest is no longer deductible starting in 2018).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies