Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recieve error "Hit a slight snage in this section" when reviewing federal return for Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other

After entering all information for my federal return, Turbotax premier suggests I review my federal return.  I click review to get the message "Ok, looking food.  But before we move on... Here's what our check found: 7 details for you to review."  I click continue to find "Your to-do list" and 7 entries all for "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other".  When I click on any of them, all take me to the same page... "To personalize your experience".  None of the options applied except for maybe the last one "Did you buy every investment listed on your 1099-B?".  Although I first entered yes (thinking about my Etrade stock account), I realized I had sold some crypto that was "earned" by answering questions on Coinbase from what I understand from reading turbotax help is actually considered a gift.  I select "no" then continue which takes me to the page "Next, you'll have to update your imported sales". and gives me four simply instructions that actually sound tedious because it asks me to go through every individual entry (luckily I have under 100 this year).  I hit Continue but get the error "Hmm, looks like we hit a slight snag in this section."  When I hit try again I am taken to my state return. 

I have tried deleting my cache and cookies.  I restarted my browser/computer and signed back into turbotax.  I manually went to my Coinbase 1099-B under Wages and Income and selected changed the dropdown box to say whether I purchased or received as a gift.  I checked my 1099-B and 1099-DIV from Etrade for stocks and found that box to not be there.  I continue to receive the same error.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there a way to bypass the error?  What do I need to fix?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Recieve error "Hit a slight snage in this section" when reviewing federal return for Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other

So after clicking on the sad face when TurboTax asked me how I was doing, TurboTax offered to have an agent call me.  We tinkered and figured out that it had nothing to do with the crypto from Coinbase at all which coincidentally just happened to have the same amount of entries as I was receiving errors.  It was actually E*TRADE that was getting flagged and we couldn't tell because the software would "hit a snag".  The trades that were being flagged were the 7 naked puts that I sold short.  Two issues where holding things up.  One was that TurboTax did not like the sell date coming before the buy date (but it was correct as it was a short put).  We fixed it by simply clicking the x next to the error so that we could ignore it.  The other issue was E*TRADE put $0 in for all the cost basis and simply put the net of the trade in for proceeds.  This made TurboTax think I received the put as a gift.  $0.00 was entered originally.  We tricked TurboTax by simply putting $0 and deleting the decimal.  

Thank you Turbotax rep for diligently working for 50min with me.  Turbotax would save a lot of time and money by simply fixing thier buggy software so that their CPA's can actually do accounting instead of tech support.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

So after clicking on the sad face when TurboTax asked me how I was doing, TurboTax offered to have an agent call me.  We tinkered and figured out that it had nothing to do with the crypto from Coinbase at all which coincidentally just happened to have the same amount of entries as I was receiving errors.  It was actually E*TRADE that was getting flagged and we couldn't tell because the software would "hit a snag".  The trades that were being flagged were the 7 naked puts that I sold short.  Two issues where holding things up.  One was that TurboTax did not like the sell date coming before the buy date (but it was correct as it was a short put).  We fixed it by simply clicking the x next to the error so that we could ignore it.  The other issue was E*TRADE put $0 in for all the cost basis and simply put the net of the trade in for proceeds.  This made TurboTax think I received the put as a gift.  $0.00 was entered originally.  We tricked TurboTax by simply putting $0 and deleting the decimal.  

Thank you Turbotax rep for diligently working for 50min with me.  Turbotax would save a lot of time and money by simply fixing thier buggy software so that their CPA's can actually do accounting instead of tech support.

I'm experiencing this error as well, in the same section. I went back into the investments section manually to see if I could figure out what TurboTax is looking for me to correct/address, but there's nothing flagged there as needing review.

I've been a TurboTax user for over a decade and this may be my last. The software has been incredibly buggy, with known problems that haven't been corrected for weeks.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@Aksuperior

What software version are you using?  Are you on Windows or Mac?  Please respond back here in the thread and someone will follow up with the next steps.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies