Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will rounding of individual transactions on form 8949 be corrected?

Thanks.

I entered 0 as a cost basis because I would need to individually calculate each week's cost basis using the ETF provided table and some required math. It was just not worth it for the $ involved.

My post here describes the situation better, with a picture of the 8949:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/tt-bug-multiple-trans...

The proceeds are rounded to 0, so I have line after line of 0 proceed, 0 cost basis in the 8949. The rounding error adds up and doesn't come close to matching what is reported by my broker's 1099-B.

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

You may consider deleting the rows with zeroes only and entering the subtotal manually. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

8949 is required, so I should enter the subtotal on the 8949 (for these non-basis reported short term gains)? e.g. a single line? If so, what would I use for a date?

A single entry should not match the multiple reported proceeds but the total could. I assume that would be acceptable and not flag the return for an audit, and would allow TT to file electronically?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may enter as a summary.

Below is a link for the steps to enter in TurboTax. 

TurboTax Link

@huskerdooo

Thanks.

Is the summary in Schedule D Part 2, or the 8949?

In the latter case, I think the 8949 is required because the transactions have no basis. I guess that is my concern. In previous years I have entered summary data, but my basis was always known.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@huskerdoo  After you enter the summary totals you will be prompted to upload your 1099-B in pdf form.  That will tell the IRS your basis information.

@RobertB4444 

The Deluxe CD version did not prompt me or indicate there was an option for uploading a PDF. I ended up sending the form via USPS. It would have been nice not to have mailed it though.

Kimbyya
Returning Member

Thank you for reaching out to the President.  How can I follow up with a comment in the President's response to you?  I have a question about his comment "The rounding differences are well within the IRS built-in tolerances for rounding discrepancies."   What is the tolerance?  My rounding difference is $4.  This may be okay, but I would like to know for future purposes what is the largest difference allowed before you have a problem.

Good luck, my rounding difference was >$100 through a ton of sub 50 cent proceeds.

They should keep the individual transactions and round the totals. 

I ended up putting in summary data and sent the IRS my 1099. It would have been nice to avoid mailing the extra form and 1099.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies