turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

sansouci
Returning Member

UGI's acquisition of AmeriGas APU in 2019 - how to handle this complex series of events for tax purposes?

After much noodling around and reading all the suggestions (and talking to my accountant), here's what I did:

1. I did NOT do a download of 1099-B from Fidelity as I knew that much of the information was wrong (other than the sales proceeds.)

2. I did not use the Step by Step as noted by some others. 

2. I set up 4 (yes 4) 1099-B transactions, one each for LT and ST capital gains and one each for LT and ST ordinary income.

3. Long term percentage of 90% was reported in the K-1 attachment, so

Sales price less negative cost basis = total gain less ordinary income =  Capital Gain x Percentage (90%) LT gain=LT Capital Gain. I coded this as "E"

4. Short Term percentage was 100% minus 90% = 10% so

Sales price less negative cost basis'total gain less ordinary income = Capital Gain x Percentage (10%) = ST Capital Gain. I coded this as "B"

5. Ordinary Income reported on the K-1 Attachment ($9,573) x 90% = Long Term Ordinary Income. I coded this as "E". I checked box 13b as "Ordinary Gain/Loss"

6. $9,573 x 10% = ST Ordinary Income. I coded this a "B". I checked box 13b as "Ordinary Gain/Loss"

7. I checked by 2018 return for passive losses that would carry forward into 2019. I had none. 

So I think I got this close. 

I am happy to hear any comments as we have a lone time before we are required to file the 2019 return.

sansouci
Returning Member

UGI's acquisition of AmeriGas APU in 2019 - how to handle this complex series of events for tax purposes?

I think I got this wrong. I am still having a problem understanding what is reported as ordinary income, i.e, $9,574 compared to the % reported as Long Term (90%) vs Short Term (10%).

I have not yet received a K1 from Amerigas and when I call the company, they say I need to to talk with the Broker.  Broker did not have information.  Based on responses, it appears some people have received a K1.  Is the K1 from Amerigas or from UGI?  Trying to track it down so any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies