Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to fill in de minimum for rental property. Do I fill it in assets section? It shows option of "special depreciation" but I don't believe this is the same thing

I want to make sure I am using the de minimum and not depreciating it but do not see a distinct section. Should I just enter it under other?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Trying to fill in de minimum for rental property. Do I fill it in assets section? It shows option of "special depreciation" but I don't believe this is the same thing

The actual rental property itself must be depreciated over 27.5 years.

The safe harbor is only if the property improvement cost less than $2,500 or less that 2% of the structure value.

Safe harbor has nothing to do with the special depreciation allowance. You can not use the special depreciation allowance on the structure itself. It must be depreciated over 27.5 years.

Thanks for the quick reply but this does not answer my question. This is not so much a tax question but a technical question how to use Turbotax. I am aware of the rules and have purchases less than $2,500 I want to use the de minimus on. However, I do not see a section for this.

I see the following sections for Real Estate. Would I just fill it into "miscellaneous expenses"? 

Expenses
Real estate taxes
Other taxes
Insurance premiums
Repairs
Cleaning/maintenance
Mortgage interest
Mortgage insurance
Utilities
Supplies
Management fees
Miscellaneous expenses
Total
Assets

Rental property
Improvements, furnishings, and other assets
Carl
Level 15

Just enter it in the miscellaneous expenses section, making sure you clearly label it as best you can in the small space allowed, for what it is. There should be absolutely nothing concerning that expense then, in the assets/depreciation section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies