Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pat698

I received a 1099-k from Airbnb for 6 properties I own. How do I divide the amount on schedule Es line income from 1099-k? TT links it all to one only.

When creating the 1099-k it requires a link to associated schedule where income is reported but will only allow linking (and thus populating the field) with the entire amount on the 1099-k to only one property. I can't allocate it, or override it. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
MichaelDC

I received a 1099-k from Airbnb for 6 properties I own. How do I divide the amount on schedule Es line income from 1099-k? TT links it all to one only.

The simplest solution in this instance is to set up each rental property individually as if "the 1099-K didn't exist".

In TurboTax, we don’t create a separate entry for your 1099-K info. That's because your 1099-K income should already be included in other income such as a 1099-MISC

Simply enter the applicable amount for each property address on your Schedule E.

The IRS is only concerned with you reporting the rental income. Even if you didn't receive a 1099-MISC or 1099-K, you would report it on the separate addresses. Because of the 1099-MISC/1099-K, the IRS will expect to see at least $X amount of rent reported, and that's what you'll be doing.

You may want to document the split for future reference and record-keeping and possibly attach a copy of the lease agreements showing where the 1099-MISC number came from.

So, to recap: DON"T enter the 1099-K

Here's how to get back to your rental:

Go into your TurboTax return. Not sure you're in there? Click on the orange Take me to my return button.

1.       Search for rentals and then click the "Jump to" link in the search result.

2.       Answer Yes to the question Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses?

Here's how to delete your 1099-K:   

• To delete a form that came in the mail (e.g., W-2, 1098, 1099, etc.) it's best to do it from that form's Summary screen.
  • Simply search for the form number (for example, 1099-MISC) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results to get to the Summary screen.

This is an excellent answer.  I have the same problem. Thank you for such a detailed answer.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Generally, the IRS allows you to allocate the amount on Form 1099-K to individual rental properties on your return.  The IRS may not directly match your Form 1099-K to the individual rental properties however,  the IRS may contact you if it thinks there’s a discrepancy, the amount reported is smaller-than-expected income, based on its analysis of Forms 1099-K reported to you.

@Wendee in Carlsbad

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Now that a 1099K is required to be entered, what do we do?

I would like to know the answer to this also. 

Are we required to enter out 1099-K into TurboTax for 2023 tax year?

The reporting requirement for issuing a 1099K  lies with the company that it issuing the 1099K to you.  the income that s new threshold for reporting requirements for 1099K is over $20,000, and for which there are more than 200 transactions. Companies can still still send the form if transactions total over 600.00 for the . Companies may still issue the forms for totals over $600. See HERE under Subcaption "Reporting threshold."

Regardless of the threshold amount, you would need to enter  any earned income amount that is taxable whether you received a 1099K or not.

However, once you received the 1099K, enter it as follows;

1- In Turbotax, click on the searchbar in the upper right hand corner and type in 1099-K

2- Hit Jump to 1099-K

3- On the next screen, hit Add a 1099K

4- On the next screen, when they are asking "Which type of income is your 1099-K for, you will describe what that income was for.

5- On the following screen, you will enter all the details from your 1099-k

6- And then depending on why you got this 1099k for, you will enter in all the details in the screens to follow. 

7- When you are finished with everything, you will click "Done!"

[Edited 02/13/2024:15 pm PST]

Hi, I appreciate your attempting to answer the question.  However, it does not do so.  The question is not how to enter the 1099-k form.  This thread pertains to the situation where one has been issued a single 1099-k for rental payments for multiple properties, but TurboTax only allows the 1099-k numbers to be associated with a single property.  How do we handle this situation?

Joe

I'm in the same situation. It is my understanding that in this case you can just not enter the 1099-k. As long as the amount on your 1099-k is already included in your rental income on all the properties.

I am in the same boat and looking for an answer. 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, @danh123 is correct. Allocate the income from Form 1099-K as needed and report as rent for each property. (Do not enter under the 1099-K topic.) As long as you report at least as much income as was reported on the 1099, you have satisfied the reporting requirements. 

Note that Schedule E (for rental properties) does not have a specific line for Form 1099-K. All Rents received are reported on Line 3, regardless of how they were paid.

@theprof07 

@abhiverma812 

I do enter my 1099-MISC separately. I enter in the information and make sure to reduce my total rental income by the amount on each 1099-MISC for that property because Turbotax will add them all together.

Turbo tax showed me the following:

Capture.JPG

This doesn't work when the 1099-k has income from multiple properties included.

@danh123 why?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies