Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TT Business 2017 Bug. The program constantly asks for Rental Real Estate Income, but I answered NO to the question "Do you have rental real estate activity.

After the update on 02/09/18, the problem remains.
Not sure how to contact support, or if it is even worth it.

TT Business 2017 Bug. The program constantly asks for Rental Real Estate Income, but I answered NO to the question "Do you have rental real estate activity.

You will need to contact TurboTax support for this situation ….
Go to this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/</a>

I had the same problem and was able to fix by going to business info, changing business type to something else, click through until getting past the problem spot in income.  then went back and changed business info to the original detail and the rental real estate insistence was gone!

I take that back.  there is still a screen for rental real estate at the beginning of income and deductions, but continue button is now enabled to skip past it.  clearly a bug that should have been fixed by now.

@netman6000 Thanks for trying. I may attempt it, but I have always been able to click continue and get past it, but as soon as I switch to any of the sub-tabs at the top (income, deductions, etc) I get the warning screen telling me that I answered yes to having rental real estate, and instructing me to enter details in the rental real estate area. I can click continue, and go do other work, but it's just a silly inconvenience.

I have the same problem --- I'm doing taxes for a company whose income is music royalties only and I keep being told that I indicated earlier that I have rental real estate activity. Never happened!

I am doing 2019 taxes now in 2/20, and the same problem seems to persist. Amazing, a whole new tax year, and Intuit still has not gotten around to fixing the "bug"?!?

Year after year, same problem, same bug, no fix. TT keeps asking me for real estate income, but nowhere did I indicate that my business is real estate income. Will TT ever fix this bug? Seems simple enough to fix!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try deleting the real estate form 1099 S. As long as you have not already  filed or paid for your return, here is how you can Delete a form from your Turbo Tax online return.

Thanks, BUT cannot find the left menu in my Turbotax 2020 Business program on my desktop.

therefore cannot find "Tax Tools", Tools, Tool Center, etc. 

Also, I don't see a real estate from 1099-s as being one of the "Forms in my Return". 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

It sounds as if a trigger was created for the rental real estate income.  Go into Forms Mode and delete any forms relating to rental income that might appear --  Form 8825 or Form 8825 Worksheet.  To do this in TurboTax Business:

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on the form you wish to open and delete (Form 8825 or Form 8825 Worksheet).
  3. Click on the Delete Form box at the bottom of the screen.
  4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.  

@pmbblblaw

Thanks for the advice, but I already filed the return for this year.  However, I will keep your suggestion in my file for next year.

BUT would it not be more appropriate for TT to fix its software so that the same problem does not occur next year? Why should TT users have to do extra work for your proposed "fix" for a problem in TT's software?

As I noted before, it appears that this "bug" has been in the TT software for years (see earlier messages above on this topic). So how about TT just fixing it already?  I would hope that if TT knows about the issue, it would promptly fix it. Isn't anyone paying attention at TT?

I'm getting the same issue in TTB 2021!

Annoying!!

This and the Farm Income Schedule F bug keeps adding Schedule F and I have to delete it in forms mode over and over! COme on TT! Get it together! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies