Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EliC
Level 2

Rental Properties, Schedule E and 1099-G box 6

My rental properties, reported on Sch E, both received 1099-G box 6 taxable grants. These 1099s have the respective TIN of the business.

Where and how do I report these?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

DON'T try to enter the 1099 in any of the 1099 entry screens ... instead simply add this amount to the rents collected and enter one combined amount in the Sch E section.   

EliC
Level 2

That's what I have done so far, but seems incorrect. TT should have a way to report this. I can't even follow other advice and type it in on schedule e since there is no line on the form for other income.

fgodette-comcast
Returning Member

I received a 1099G for rental property income as a grant from the state.   where should this information be filed.  turbo tax wants to treat as unemployment that is taxable if enter on the 1099G form.    I should be able to include as rental income that is offset with rental expenses.

Just include it in the total rent received on the Sch E ... do NOT enter the 1099-G itself as you can see it will not work. 

fgodette-comcast
Returning Member

Thanks for the feedback.   How does the IRS track this entry if there is not a reference to the payer's TIN?  there should be a better way to manage this in turbo tax.

1099-G box 6 can show up on several forms and it up to the taxpayer to enter it in the correct place.    

Carl
Level 15

How does the IRS track this entry if there is not a reference to the payer's TIN?

The IRS doesn't track it "from your end" at all. The issuer of that 1099-G sent the IRS a copy of that 1099-G. When you e-file your tax return, the fact that you received a 1099-G is *NOT* transmitted with your return at all. The IRS only gets the total amount of rental income received. That's all their interested in "from your end".

If you enter the form "as" a 1099-G, then it will "NOT" be treated as rental income and you will not be able to claim rental expenses against it. Instead, you'll be taxed on the entire amount reported in box 6.

So you do not enter the 1099-G at all. You simply include the amount received/reported in box 6 as a part of your total income received that you report on line 3 of the SCH E. Then you file that 1099-G with "your" records, in case the IRS questions you on it. I seriously doubt you'll ever be questioned on it. But never say never.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies