Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rental manufactured home........ follow up

I own a manufactured home that over the years we have converted back and forth between rental and personal use (our kids lived in it while attending the university).  It was rented when the park it was in changed owners and the new owners would no longer allow us to rent it. We had it moved to a city lot which we bought for that purpose in another town, and it will be a rental as soon as it is ready.  We paid to have it moved and set up. I constructed a new entry porch, reskirted it, hooked up the utilities, paid for permits. I am paying my son to finish interior repairs connected to the move. What expenses are deductible and what must be amortized?

Thank you, folks, for your insight. One quick follow up question: Because I live in anothe state, there was considerable mileage involved in my trip to do the work associated with the home relocation, is this still deductable as a normal expense? Thank, again!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

We had it moved to a city lot which we bought for that purpose in another town, and it will be a rental as soon as it is ready.

Nothing is directly deductible per-se. But you do have some major changes in the cost basis when it comes to renting it out, for depreciation.

For your cost basis, that will be what you paid for the lot, plus the value you assigned to the structure the last time you rented it, minus any depreciation already taken on it before the move, plus the cost of moving it, plus the cost of the property improvements you did after it was in the new location. If applicable, you'll also include in your cost basis whatever you paid (if anything) for prepping the land with a foundation (slab, risers or stilts) for the house to sit on at the new location, as well as any costs to get utilities such as electric, water and sewer installed from the street, into the structure. If you did any landscaping such as sod, trees,shrubs or plants next to the house, that cost is also added to the cost basis.

For the purpose of depreciation, the depreciable portion of the new cost basis will be that cost basis, minus what you paid for the land it now sits on. Depreciation will start over from year 1 for the next 27.5 years using your newly established cost basis.

You will need to keep your own records of previous depreciation taken on the property. In your specific case, I don't know if you will need that information or not in the future when/if you sell or otherwise dispose of the property. I'm not sure, but if you sold the land the house used to be on, that may have an impact on future requirements when you sell the house at it's new location. I just don't know how that will work out. But it's something you may want to research later once things are "settled in" with the new setup.

Hal_Al
Level 15

The money you paid your son to finish interior repairs could be added to your cost basis.  But that would obligate him to report the money as income on his tax return. 

HOW DO YOU DEFINE A MANUFACTURED HOME ?????

@daveamiss wrote:

HOW DO YOU DEFINE A MANUFACTURED HOME ?????

What does manufactured mean on a home?

A type of prefabricated residence, the manufactured home, as its name implies, has its standardized parts constructed and assembled in a factory; it's then transported and affixed to a location (your home site). In contrast, a traditional home is built from the ground up on your lot.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies