turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental Conversion Date with Atypical timeline

Converted home to rental and have questions on whether I can deduct a repair based on date of conversion. What is tricky about date is I lived there while showing it.

Mid June listed for lease (while living there).

Discovered issue with shower pan in extra bathroom after showing it in late June

July 1 lease signed by tenants, assured them repair would be done before move in

July 1 - 14  - repairs completed

July 15 - lease effective date

July 17 - invoice date for repairs

Can I deduct this?

Side question - the repair involved tearing out tile, replacing shower pan, re-tiling bathroom. Does the re-tile count as improvement? If so, if I got my contractor to split out cost of tear out, shower pan from the re-tile, can I deduct the repair part only? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'd say you can write off repairs because you paid for them after the home was available for rent and rented for real......the re-tiling of the whole bath is another story and that might be an improvement that is added to the basis for depreciation.

Carl
Level 15

the repair involved tearing out tile, replacing shower pan, re-tiling bathroom. Does the re-tile count as improvement?

I disagree with @smarttees because the work meets the IRS definition of a property improvement, without question.  The entire job is a property improvement because it was all done at the same time, to take care of a single problem/issue. While it also meets the definition of a repair, a repair does not "add value" to the property, whereas a property improvement does. There is no questioning that the new pan and re-tiling the bathroom adds "real" value to the property.

Listing this as a repair "may" cause a problem too. Using your dates, the property may have been converted after you moved out, and prior to the tenants moving in. However, the property was not "in service" until "AFTER" the bathroom was completed. The "in service" date is the earliest date a renter "could" have moved in.  Since they could not move in until the bathroom was usable, it was not in service before the completion date of the project. So any repair expenses are just flat out not deductible at all.  Based on your dates, since the project was completed July 14th, the earliest possible "in service" date would be July 15th. The lease effective date is irrelevant actually.

Property Improvement.

Property improvements are expenses you incur that add value to the property. Expenses for this are entered in the Assets/Depreciation section and depreciated over time. Property improvements can be done at any time after your initial purchase of the property. It does not matter if it was your residence or a rental at the time of the improvement. It still adds value to the property.

To be classified as a property improvement, two criteria must be met:

1) The improvement must become "a material part of" the property. For example, remodeling the bathroom, new cabinets or appliances in the kitchen. New carpet. Replacing that old Central Air unit.

2) The improvement must add "real" value to the property. In other words, when  the property is appraised by a qualified, certified, licensed property appraiser, he will appraise it at a higher value, than he would have without the improvements.

Repair

Those expenses incurred to return the property or it's assets to the same useable condition they were in, prior to the event that caused the property or asset to be unusable. Repair expenses incurred are only deductible if incurred while the property is classified as a rental. Repair costs incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent are not deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies