turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a version of turbotax that will help with sale of inherited property, owned 50% by two people? It has been used for rental, selling it this year.

We have each been claiming half of the depreciation and expenses over the last 10 years, but the version I have used in the past doesnt seem to have any built in logic to gather prior expense/depreciation info when calculating taxable gains.  I am not sure how to do this or to enter the value at time of inheritance.  Do any of the versions do this?  I think I have been using deluxe in the past.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Is there a version of turbotax that will help with sale of inherited property, owned 50% by two people? It has been used for rental, selling it this year.

With TT you have to put in the total amount of depreciation you have taken over the years.

Anonymous
Not applicable

seek tax pro help.  since you say two people owned the rental property a partnership return may have been required for each year.  so if two owned it for 10 years and a partnership return was required but not filed there are substantial penalties.   the general exception would be if the property was held by husband and wife and not in the name of a state law entity (ie in the name of an LLC).  the other thing you may have messed up is since you and or the other party inherited the property the depreciable basis for the heir(s) would have been FMV on the date of death.  Then the FMV would have to be split between non-depreciable land and depreciable building. This should have been reflected in the partnership return or your personal returns if no partnership return was required.       

Thanks...the owners are my sister and me, and we inherited from our mom, so we never formed a partnership or anything like that.  We each used the feature in TurboTax where you put in the percent of ownership, which was 50% each.  Then we entered all of the expenses and income, and turbotax automatically credited each of us with half for our own returns.  That is basically what the estate attorney told us to do when we inherited when she died.  

I have paperwork that gives us the FMV at the time of inheritance.  I also played with the Deluxe version of TurboTax, hoping it would walk us through the elements that pertain to the sale and again use the 50% ownership we show we each have to calculate everything.  But it doesnt seem to do that.  

Thanks.  Sounds like since there are two of us (my sister and I) I can just add it up and we would each enter half. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies