turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hfluss
Returning Member

Investment Club Dissolution

Our investment club was dissolved last year, and stock was distributed to members. I am aware of how to transfer partnership basis to the individual stocks.

The question I have is how to record the disposition - there does not seem to be an option that corresponds to this scenario.

Suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

This would be a change in capital for each investment club member, i.e., a reduction to the capital account for all investment club members.  The other side of this would be a reduction in the assets of the investment club which should end at a zero balance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hfluss
Returning Member

Thanks.

I'm OK with the accounting. The question is how to enter the disposition in TT. The two choices are a taxable or non-taxable event, and if you look at the worksheet, non-taxable is equated with a gift.

Since the IRS guidelines are that a distribution of stock shares to members in the dissolution of a stock club does not constitute a taxable event (share basis is adjusted up or down based on relative member and partnership bases) it's less than optimal to note this as a taxable event, albeit with 0 gain/loss.

I know it's only internal to TT, but I would like to align this entry as much as possible with the actual rules.

Thanks,

Harold

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies