Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

tdn1
Level 2

In 2022, I lived in my house till Oct 31. Rented it out on Dec 1st. Should the Fair rented days be 31 & Personal use days be 304 for "Was ABC rented every single day"?

How to enter vacant and not-for-rent days for a part-time rental property in Turbotax? Our house was available for rental for 8 months, with 160 days actually rented, 20 days of personal use, and 60 days vacant. We moved back in the house the remaining 4 months. Turbotax only asks for days the house was actually rented and days of personal use. How do I enter in Turbotax the days it was up for rental, but vacant, and the days it was not up for rental?  Turbotax only asks for the annual mortgage interest (i.e. form 1098) and real estate county tax paid on the house. How do I, or Turbotax, prorate the mortgage interest and local real estate county tax between the days the house was up and not up for rental?

Carl
Level 15

In 2022, I lived in my house till Oct 31. Rented it out on Dec 1st. Should the Fair rented days be 31 & Personal use days be 304 for "Was ABC rented every single day"?

You don't enter vacant days anywhere, as they have absolutely no impact what-so-ever on your tax liability. The only things that matter are days rented and days of personal use while the property was classified as a rental.

Vacant days do not count against you for anything. They are still "business use" days if you did not live in the property as your primary residence, 2nd home, vacation home, or any other type of personal use while/when it was vacant and classified as a rental.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies