Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Importing 1099-B and autofil form 8949

2019 I Imported my investment documents and Turbotax Premier filled out most all forms, including Form 8949.

This year, 2020, I imported the same forms, but Form 8949 did not import the 1099-B information into the worksheet or form.

Premier ran a check and is asking for 9 pieces of information related to the worksheet for 8949.

Without typing in all of the information (Sales, Purchases, cost basis and pricing) is there a way to get Turbotax to import the information into the form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

kluski,

This sounds like there was an import glitch.  You are welcome to retry the import again, but first delete all the items that were imported the first time around.  Otherwise you get duplications and doubling of your income.

If there are only a few, nine in your case, things to enter, it might take less time to just enter them from you paper forms rather than deleting and reimporting.  And yes, I have always entered my 1099-B entries by hand.  Old fashioned, perhaps, but I trust myself more than a computer.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

kluski,

This sounds like there was an import glitch.  You are welcome to retry the import again, but first delete all the items that were imported the first time around.  Otherwise you get duplications and doubling of your income.

If there are only a few, nine in your case, things to enter, it might take less time to just enter them from you paper forms rather than deleting and reimporting.  And yes, I have always entered my 1099-B entries by hand.  Old fashioned, perhaps, but I trust myself more than a computer.

Thank you.

I'll try both, as there are quite a few entries, I'll let you know.

Turbotax had 9 errors/entries, my form would have at least 18 sales and all other support info.

I deleted the import and then only imported the forms at the area where needed, not at the 'import all' at the beginning of the walk-through.

That worked great.

I also found where I had an additional entry from the 2019 in my forms (from same company but the import name was different) so deleted those also and all came up very well.

Thank you again for the assistance.

kluski,

That's indeed wonderful news. I truly appreciate times like these when the teacher becomes the student and the student the teacher.

Hesab321

I am not getting info on form 8949. I enter the brokerage name and provide name/password and do not know if the request for 8949 is completed.

The form 8949 is not always required if you have all the sales in a section completely covered( and there are no adjustments),  it goes straight to the schedule D.

see if all the amounts appear on line 1a and/or 8a of schedule D. if so form 8949 is not required.

not all brokers do. many do a separate import to form 8949 for each trade even if all it qualifies to be reported on 1a or 8a   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies