turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Imported stock sales from Form 1099-B missing on Form 8949

No problems importing stock sales to TurboTax from Fidelity's Form 1099-B.  They all show up correctly in the Form 1099-B Worksheet.  However the first 18 items are missing for ST sales on Form 8949 for Box A transactions, and the the first 16 items are missing for LT sales on Form 8949 for Box D transactions.  In both cases, it's the securities at the beginning of the alphabet that are missing, i.e., A through C.  The first sales listed on 8949 for both ST and LT transactions are my company stock transactions (ESPP, NSO, RSUs), which required adjustment using the transaction worksheet.  Interestingly, the Proceeds totals in column (d) of Schedule D are correct, but the individual line item amounts in column (d) on Form 8949 don't add up, because of the missing transactions.  Any ideas where the missing transactions are, and how to fix this?  THANKS!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

This is an odd behavior introduced in the current iteration of TurboTax and reported here by many.

Try putting a transaction with adjustments at the top of the list of transactions, then print the form 8949.
Otherwise, if you are out if time, just file it since the final totals are correct.

next time don't wait till the last day. something will always go wrong.

Anonymous
Not applicable

type A and type D transactions do not need to be reported on 8949.  they could flow directly to schedule D lines 1a and 8a. .  easiest way to check - total the sales proceeds on the schedule d (column (d)  and the total cost or other basis (column (e) and see if that agrees with the grand totals on the 1099B

Thanks for your thoughts.  I'm a stock trader with hundreds of transactions yearly, PLUS I had about 20 employer stock transactions involving NQSOs, ESPPs and RSUs, so any manual solution really isn't feasible.  But I think I discovered a workaround in the wee hours last night.  First, I never realized I had a problem until the last minute, because my Proceeds (d) total on my 8949's and Sched D matched my 1099-B broker's statement.  It was only when I compared my TradeLog 8949 reports to my TurboTax 8949s that I realized many stock trades were missing from the TurboTax version.  I have to depend on my TurboTax import data, because TTx is able to handle the adjustments to cost basis that have to be made for NQSOs, ESPPs and RSUs.  TradeLog just can't do that.  

Anyway, here is my workaround.  I figured something might be corrupted from the TTx import, but I didn't want to delete it and re-import, because I'd lose all of the adjustment work I'd done on the employer stock NQSOs, ESPPs and RSUs.  So -- I imported the same data again, ON TOP of the previous import.  Instead of selecting REPLACE, I selected ADD -- figuring I would just delete the duplications.  I turns out doing so SOLVED the problem of the missing trades (alphabetical A through C in both ST and LT capital gain transactions) on my Form 8949.  None of the NON-employer stock trades were duplicated.  ALL of the employer stock trades WERE duplicated, and the import selectively corrupted just SOME my previously adjusted ones.  Deleting the duplications was easy.  Then I compared the corrupted transactions to the way they were before I re-imported the 1099-B.  Most of the manual adjustment entries were preserved.  Specifically for RSUs, preserved were the dates of the awards I'd entered previously, the #shs vested, #shs withheld to pay taxes, the market price on vesting/release date, so the compensation income vs. cost basis was still intact except for just one of my RSU transactions.  All of the ESPP transactions were OK, but all of my NQSO transactions were blank in the box for cost basis reported to the IRS.  Thus, many of my previously imported Box A transactions became Box B transactions, because the reimport wiped out the cost basis that was reported to the IRS on my Form 1099-B.  To fix that, all I had to do was reenter that one number, and all those transactions were automatically reclassified from Box B transactions back to Box A transactions.  NOTE:  Be sure to PRINT OUT the Form 1099-B Worksheet BEFORE re-importing so you can compare and fix the errors.  All I had to do was go through the "Guide me step-by-step" process for those transactions that suddenly showed huge profits (because cost basis was erroneously set to zero), and the errors were fixed.  

I hope this insight helps anyone else who may have experienced this same problem for the first time in 2019.  This was my 29th consecutive year using TurboTax - since 1991.  This certainly wasn't the first programming bug I've encountered using TTax, but it will certainly be an annoying one unless the tech guys/gals can fix it for 2020! 

If TurboTax is aggregating, the transactions should not be on Form 8949. Some of them are there, and some of them are not there. Also Form 8949 subtotals don't agree with Schedule D, according to reports.

Manage cookies