turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TaxesSL

How do I deduct HELOC interest from rental property?

We took out a HELOC against our rental property to help pay for improvements on our primary residence. Do I apply the interest deduction to the rental property or our primary residence? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

If the loan is secured by your rental property, the mortgage interest is reported as a Rental Expense.

Note that if any portion of the loan proceeds are used for something other than the rental property, the portion of interest allocable to loan proceeds not related to rental use generally cannot be deducted as a rental expense. Chapter 4 of Pub. 535 explains mortgage interest in detail: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527/ch01.html

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Tracing rules apply if you get a HELOC on the primary residence and use it on the Sch E ...

https://www.cbiz.com/insights-resources/details/articleid/6339/ispreview/true/deducting-interest-on-...

@tamtrinh   Yes.  Deduct the interest on the property where the money was actually spent.

@tamtrinh   Look at Critter's comment above about the "Tracing Rules".

23 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

If the loan is secured by your rental property, the mortgage interest is reported as a Rental Expense.

Note that if any portion of the loan proceeds are used for something other than the rental property, the portion of interest allocable to loan proceeds not related to rental use generally cannot be deducted as a rental expense. Chapter 4 of Pub. 535 explains mortgage interest in detail: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527/ch01.html

robert10

To Clarify....HELOC taken on rental property that is used as down payment for primary residence is deducted as interest on taxpayer's schedule A for primary residence and NOT as a rental expense?
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

@robert Yes, if the proceeds of the HELOC are used for a primary residence, the interest would NOT be a rental expense. Instead, report the HELOC interest on Schedule A (mortgage interest).
gratesto

How about if I tool a HELO on my house to buy rental property?

The interest can't be deducted on Sch A if it isn't secured by the primary residence.  

It's not deductible on E but could be taken as investment interest on A but not deductible for your primary residence because the interest isn't secured by your primary residence.  

John60

Can I deduct interest on a Sch E (Rental Property) if I used my PRIMARY RESIDENCE ELOC to purchase the rental property?

The ELOC would be used exclusively for the rental property.

John60

I cant seem to find a concrete answer to this question:

I have an ELOC on my primary residence.

I want to use that ELOC to buy a rental property. That ELOC would be exclusively used for that purpose and not used for anything else.

CAN I DEDUCT THE INTEREST ON SCHEDULE E?

Tracing rules apply if you get a HELOC on the primary residence and use it on the Sch E ...

https://www.cbiz.com/insights-resources/details/articleid/6339/ispreview/true/deducting-interest-on-...

The IRS rules say heloc int can be deducted if used to buy, repair, or improve property it is secured by. How would you use a heloc to buy the property you already have a heloc on. I believe a heloc can be used and deducted for down payment funds on your primary residence. 

I took the HELOC loan $150,000 is secured by the first rental property. I used that $150,000 for downpayment of the second rental property. Can I deduct interest of HELOC on the second property? Please advise. Thank you.    

@tamtrinh   Yes.  Deduct the interest on the property where the money was actually spent.

Thank you so much. I read Publication 527, 936, and 535 from IRS website. I have not found out where it says I can deduct HELOC interest on Rental property. 

I saw " Note. Interest on home equity loans and lines of credit are deductible only if the borrowed funds are used to buy, build, or substantially improve the taxpayer’s home that secures the loan." on Publication 936, on page 2. 

Please send me a link or paragraph that states HELOC or equity loan interest can be deducted. 

Thank you 

Tam Trinh 

@tamtrinh   Look at Critter's comment above about the "Tracing Rules".

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies