Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I did not claim depreciation on my rental home since it was converted from personal use several years ago, how do I do an amend return in Turbo Tax?

@RJDaPirate 

The screenshot you posted has multiple assets already listed so you should already know what an asset it ... in fact you did list a property.  When you come to this section the first time the blue hyper links are available... that is when you are first educated. 

I did not claim depreciation on my rental home since it was converted from personal use several years ago, how do I do an amend return in Turbo Tax?

I had the same issue, always walked through each step, and was never asked anything specific about possible missed depreciation. Missed it for several years until I dug into the online message boards to find out what it was. The software never once alerted me to possible depreciation on a property.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

@lesclos If you have depreciation that was not used in the past on your tax returns you can use it now by filing Form 3115 with your current tax return.

Form 3115 and Form 3115 Instructions 

Form 3115, Change in Accounting Method, is used to correct most other depreciation errors, including the omission of depreciation. If you forget to take depreciation on an asset, the IRS treats this as the adoption of an incorrect method of accounting, which may only be corrected by filing Form 3115.

To make a change under Rev. Proc. 2011-14, the taxpayer must attach Form 3115 to a timely filed (including extensions) original return for the year of the change. In addition, the taxpayer must file a copy of Form 3115 with the IRS National Office no earlier than the first day of the year of change and no later than when Form 3115 is filed with the federal income tax return for the year of change.

This form allows you to recover the deduction which is important because the rule for depreciation is allowed or allowable.  This means that when the property is later sold, the depreciation will be recaptured whether or not you actually used the deductions.

If you have already filed your 2020 return, you can file this and use it for 2021.  It is a complicated form, but you are interested only in the change in your depreciation method and amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
zurcLau

QUESTION......Once I fill out 3115 and know amount depreciated not claimed, Where do I enter this amount in the 2020 tax return?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am attaching a TurboTax discussion link for your information.  Click here:  Depreciation recapture

@zurcLau

M-MTax
Level 10

@zurcLau If it's residential rental real estate you report on Schedule E then enter the adjusted amount under EXPENSES as "Other" and give a description. You should also keep a record of the adjustment for the time when you dispose of the property.

zurcLau

Thank you mark..... rental property already disposed in 2020.. 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Excellent!  You are very welcome!! 

@zurcLau 

Make sure in your description you indicate Section 481(a) adjustment.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
LHS2

I'm in the exact same situation. I know I put in the data but it never calculated. How did your situation play out?

JustMe1909
Returning Member

National Association of Tax Professionals with paper on Form 3115 Missed Depreciation, dated March 31, 2016, is a great guide.   Following this guide was a blessing that assisted me in successfully resolving this matter

LHS2

I found one dated 10/31/2013. Is there a newer one? 

Thanks so much. I have received 4 different opinions from CPA's all bad!

JustMe1909
Returning Member

Contacting or becoming a member of NATP may be necessary to gain access to the latest version.   I can no longer find the 2018 version online.  CPA was more interesting in fleecing my pocket by redoing my earlier taxes for mis-depreciation which was totally unnecessary.   NOT.  The guide is packed with all of the tools to catch up on your mis deprecation.  However, I did reach out to an experience Tubortax rep to help me calculate the deprecation on one of my properties.  Otherwise, the guide set me free. 

blakestone1
Returning Member

I needed to know what would I have to do, also I wanted to see if depreciation was done on my last years taxes on my rental property

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies