Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Diti
Level 1

How to report a house flip

I tried to flip one house this year and ended up losing money on it (more than 3k). How can I go about reporting this loss?

Do I,

1. Complete a schedule C? Or

2. Report this as an "Investment Income/Loss" which is limited by the 3k investment loss limit? 

I think reporting the loss on schedule C might provide me with the most tax benefit right away, which would be helpful at the moment, but I'm not sure if this is technically correct.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Buying and selling one investment property with no intent to continue this practice does Not constitute having a business for buying and selling properties.

You report the sale of the property in the Wages & Income section of the TurboTax program under Investment Income.

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

Or enter investment sales in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to investment sales

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Buying and selling one investment property with no intent to continue this practice does Not constitute having a business for buying and selling properties.

You report the sale of the property in the Wages & Income section of the TurboTax program under Investment Income.

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

Or enter investment sales in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to investment sales

Diti
Level 1

and what if the intent was to try again in 2023 with another flip? Does that change the tax scenario?

@Diti wrote:

and what if the intent was to try again in 2023 with another flip? Does that change the tax scenario?

Go to the following IRS website for the 9 factors which you can use to determine if this is a business - https://www.irs.gov/faqs/small-business-self-employed-other-business/income-expenses/income-expenses

Hal_Al
Level 15

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies