Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to Maximize effect of K-1 on my personal taxes

I have a partnership LLC (2 people) and just got my K-1. We had bought a house and refurbished it and my K-1 showed a loss of -$32K. I had entered this into Turbotax and I was surprised that it only showed an income loss of about just -$5K. The Capital base for the LLC was $75K and we had pumped $67K into the project.. Can somebody help me with these questions

1)If I had entered a K-1 of  -$32K into Turbotax (my share of the loss), why isn't that showing up as a reduction of my net income. I know there are rules about not deducting more than the base capital but this not more than the base capital

2) If the whole -$32K loss is not taken this year, does it mean it is carried forward and will show up in future years. if so, how many years will it take to be used up

3) WHAT should I do now in Turbo tax when reporting this K-1 to maximize the net income loss shown. I had assumed it will be more than -$5K

Thanks for your help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Toksica by tax law definition rental real estate activities are passive.  with active participation uo to $25,000 in losses may be allowed but that in part depends on your adjusted gross income you loss the ability to deduct $1 of that limit for each $2 your adjusted gross income is above $150K so with adjusted gross income of $200K you get zero. the only way around the passive loss rules for real estate is to be a real estate professional.

The IRS Publication 925 establishes the criteria necessary to qualify as a real estate professional for tax purposes. The real estate professional rules are as follows:

More Than 50% Rule
The first qualification set forth by the IRS states that more than half of the services performed within the tax year were in “real estate property trades or businesses.” This is commonly referred to as the more than 50 rule, meaning more than 50 percent of your working hours must be in real estate. The more than 50% rule generally eliminates anyone with a full-time job outside of real estate from being classified as a real estate professional. For example, if you work 40 hours a week at Google and spend about 5 to 10 hours per week managing a rental property — you will not qualify as a real estate professional when tax season comes around.

750 Hour Requirement Rule
The second qualification for real estate professionals requires them to spend more than 750 hours in a year performing services related to real estate trades or businesses. To put that in perspective, a typically 9 to 5 employee works between 1600 and 1900 hours per year. The 750 hour requirement is calculated annually (from January to December) and there is no limit on when the hours are worked — so long as they fall within the tax year. The activities that count towards this professional requirement include:

Rental unit management

New Construction

Property and business operations

Time spent as a real estate agent or broker

Property development or redevelopment

Property acquisition

Real estate professionals are also generally told to consider their property interests as one business activity rather than separate businesses. That way, property management and operations on each home count towards the 750-hour requirement (versus each property having its own 750-hour requirement). Further, keep in mind that real estate professionals must document and prove these hours to the IRS.

Single Taxpayer Requirement Rule
The above qualifications must be met by each person hoping to receive the real estate professional tax designation. In other words, you cannot combine hours with your business partner, and both receive the real estate professional tax benefits. Each taxpayer must prove the 50 percent rule and 750-hour requirement annually to be considered. However, there is an exception for married couples filing jointly. If you or your spouse meet the above requirements, the benefits of being a real estate professional would apply to your combined income — even if one spouse earned their primary income outside of real estate.

Material Participation Rule
The IRS uses a system called the material participation test to determine if your working hours can count towards your designation as a real estate professional. These tests are a way for investors to prove that they materially participate in real estate business activities — rather than acting as passive owners. Generally speaking, you must meet at least one out of seven material participation criteria. One of the most common examples is to participate in the activity for at least 500 hours. As you might guess, this is frequently used because professionals must already prove that they work 750 hours in real estate. Be sure to identify all of the businesses or real property trades that you materially participate in.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

If you are reporting a loss on a rental operation it is likely it is considered a passive activity and the loss is restricted to passive income.  If it's not a rental activity, or if it qualifies as active participation based on the real estate professional rules, you may have accidentally not marked the activity as materially participating.

To correct this in TurboTax Online you can follow these steps:

1. Within your tax return click on Wages & Income in the menu bar on the left
  2. Scroll down to your Schedule K-1 and click Edit/Add
  3. Click Update for your Partnership K-1 and Edit for the partnership you need to verify or change
  4. Go through the interview and verify that your responses are correct to all the questions regarding the boxes you have information for and your participation in the partnership
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your response. So the loss is regarded as passive income then and restricted as you said. My other question is what do I need to do to ensure that I reduce the restrictions this year and get more income loss when I include the K-1 into my personal taxes

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

All you can do is report your income and losses accurately as they were reported to you.  The loss is clearly restricted this year, but it will carryover to next year.  When you enter your K-1 in TurboTax next year, you will want to be sure you mark the box that says "I have passive-activity loss carryovers from 2022" to ensure you get the loss offset as you are eligible and continue this going forward until the loss is exhausted.

@Toksica 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you

@Toksica by tax law definition rental real estate activities are passive.  with active participation uo to $25,000 in losses may be allowed but that in part depends on your adjusted gross income you loss the ability to deduct $1 of that limit for each $2 your adjusted gross income is above $150K so with adjusted gross income of $200K you get zero. the only way around the passive loss rules for real estate is to be a real estate professional.

The IRS Publication 925 establishes the criteria necessary to qualify as a real estate professional for tax purposes. The real estate professional rules are as follows:

More Than 50% Rule
The first qualification set forth by the IRS states that more than half of the services performed within the tax year were in “real estate property trades or businesses.” This is commonly referred to as the more than 50 rule, meaning more than 50 percent of your working hours must be in real estate. The more than 50% rule generally eliminates anyone with a full-time job outside of real estate from being classified as a real estate professional. For example, if you work 40 hours a week at Google and spend about 5 to 10 hours per week managing a rental property — you will not qualify as a real estate professional when tax season comes around.

750 Hour Requirement Rule
The second qualification for real estate professionals requires them to spend more than 750 hours in a year performing services related to real estate trades or businesses. To put that in perspective, a typically 9 to 5 employee works between 1600 and 1900 hours per year. The 750 hour requirement is calculated annually (from January to December) and there is no limit on when the hours are worked — so long as they fall within the tax year. The activities that count towards this professional requirement include:

Rental unit management

New Construction

Property and business operations

Time spent as a real estate agent or broker

Property development or redevelopment

Property acquisition

Real estate professionals are also generally told to consider their property interests as one business activity rather than separate businesses. That way, property management and operations on each home count towards the 750-hour requirement (versus each property having its own 750-hour requirement). Further, keep in mind that real estate professionals must document and prove these hours to the IRS.

Single Taxpayer Requirement Rule
The above qualifications must be met by each person hoping to receive the real estate professional tax designation. In other words, you cannot combine hours with your business partner, and both receive the real estate professional tax benefits. Each taxpayer must prove the 50 percent rule and 750-hour requirement annually to be considered. However, there is an exception for married couples filing jointly. If you or your spouse meet the above requirements, the benefits of being a real estate professional would apply to your combined income — even if one spouse earned their primary income outside of real estate.

Material Participation Rule
The IRS uses a system called the material participation test to determine if your working hours can count towards your designation as a real estate professional. These tests are a way for investors to prove that they materially participate in real estate business activities — rather than acting as passive owners. Generally speaking, you must meet at least one out of seven material participation criteria. One of the most common examples is to participate in the activity for at least 500 hours. As you might guess, this is frequently used because professionals must already prove that they work 750 hours in real estate. Be sure to identify all of the businesses or real property trades that you materially participate in.

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies