Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductibility of interest on Primary Residence HELOC when used for purchase of an investment property which will have taxable income

I would like to use the HELOC on my primary residence to purchase an investment property. I will have taxable income in the investment property. I think, under the interest tracing rule, I would be allowed to deduct the HELOC interest on Schedule E for that investment property. Am I correct in my understanding? I will appreciate your comment.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Deductibility of interest on Primary Residence HELOC when used for purchase of an investment property which will have taxable income

Yes, if you used your HELOC to purchase Rental Property, you can deduct the full amount of Mortgage Interest as a Rental Expense on Schedule E.

Don't include that mortgage interest on Schedule A as an Itemized Deduction, in that case.

Click this link for more info on Using HELOC to Purchase Rental Property. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you used your HELOC to purchase Rental Property, you can deduct the full amount of Mortgage Interest as a Rental Expense on Schedule E.

Don't include that mortgage interest on Schedule A as an Itemized Deduction, in that case.

Click this link for more info on Using HELOC to Purchase Rental Property. 

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for such a prompt response and very clear guidance.

I noted you are an "Employee Tax Expert". Does that mean you are an employee of Intuit/TurboTax? Just curious.

Kind regards,

Mahendra Singh

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, Marilyn is an employee of Intuit/TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies