Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Converting property from rental to residential

Have been renting a property to my daughter and son-in-law for 10 years. Want to convert the property to residential and have them continue to live there free. How do I set this up in TT? TIA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies

As you complete the Sch E interview screens you will indicate the property was converted to personal use and in the asset section you will take all of them out of service ... just follow the screen instructions. 

if you were renting at fair rental be wary that you need to keep track of any depreciation allowed but that will be subject to recapture when you sell despite the fact it is now a personal residence. Turbotax will not do it. 

Looking at Sch E and would like to know if it is best to enter all the 365 days as personal use. What entries in the asset section are you talking about? TIA.

TomD8
Level 15

@archimedes --

The IRS considers any day you rent to family members below FMV as a day of personal use.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc415

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Carl
Level 15

To show the IRS that you converted the property from Residential Rental Real Estate, to personal use:

In the Assets/Depreciation section you must work through each individual asset one at a time.

On the screen for "I stopped using this asset in 2023" select YES.

On the screen for "Special Handling Required?" select YES. (If you select no, you will be FORCED to enter sales information. Since you didn't sell the property, you must select YES.)

If you claimed any vehicle expenses for this rental, then you must also work through the business vehicle expenses section and do the same to convert the vehicle to personal use.... even if the business use was less than 100%.

After you have completed and filed your taxes, you also need to print a few things from your ACCEPTED tax return and keep them for your records.

1) Print the IRS Form 8582. This form shows your passive loss carry overs. You will need this information as explained below.

2) There are two form 4562's. One is titled "Depreciation and Amortization Report" and the other is "Alternative Minimum Tax Depreciation Report". Print both, as you will need them later as explained below.

In the future, one of three things "will" happen in your life.

1) You sell the property.

2) You convert the property back to a rental or any other business use.

3) You die.

You will need these printouts to correctly report events 1 and 2, and your estate/heirs "may" need it (mainly for reference) in dealing with whatever happens to the property if you die. Note that it is perfectly possible The 8582 maylnot be present. That just means that you have no losses to carry over, and is perfectly possible due to changes in tax law that took effect in 2020 or thereabouts. File these papers with your property ownership documents so they'll be easy to find when needed in the future. If you have reported the conversion correctly, then nothing concerning this property will be imported into future tax returns.

I haven't been able to find the "Assets/Depreciation" section you mentioned? Is there a form I can get there from? TIA.

I could not find the "Assets/Depreciation" section you mentioned. Can I get there from one of the forms? YIA.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Please clarify:

1. Did you ever set the property up as an asset for depreciation?
  2. Have you since removed the property as an asset?
  3. Have you charged fair rental value (FRV) at any time while your daughter and son-in-law lived there?

More information will allow us to give your specific details for your situation.

@archimedes 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

I could not find the "Assets/Depreciation" section you mentioned.

It's there. Start over in the Rental & Royalty Income (SCH E) section of the program. Elect to edit your rental and work through the screens. You'll come to one with four (or more) buttons on it.
Rental Income

Rental Expenses

Assets/Depreciation (Shows as Sale of Property/Depreciation when you sell or show some other change in or disposition of the property)

Business Vehicle Use (Or something pertaining to vehicle use in your rental business)

Select Assets/Depreciation and at an absolute minimum you will see the property itself listed there. If there's nothing listed, you have a major issue that must be addressed ASAP.

I  bought the property in 2010 and rented it through 2022, using TT to file returns. I paid taxes on the income every year. I paid off the mortgage in Oct of 2023. I still can't find the Assets/Depreciation section you mention.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps to access the residential rental asset, then follow the excellent instructions outlined by Carl.

In TurboTax Online, access the residential rental asset as follows:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Wages & income.
  • Scroll down to Rentals, Royalties, and Farm.  Select Show more.
  • Select Start / Revisit to the right of Rental Properties and Royalties.
  • At the screen Your 2023 rentals and royalties summary, select Edit.
  • At the screen Here's rental property info, select Edit to the right of each rental property asset.
  • At the screen Tell us more about this rental asset, select The item was sold, retired, stolen, destroyed, disposed of....
  • Enter the date retired from use.
  • At the screen Special handling required, select Yes.

In TurboTax Desktop, access the residential rental asset as follows:

• Select Federal Taxes.
  • Select Wages & Income.
  • Select I'll choose what I work on.
  • Scroll down to Rental Properties and Royalties.
  • Select Start/Revisit to the right of Rental Properties and Royalties.
  • Select Assets/Depreciation under the Rental Review.

@archimedes 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

@JamesG1 please check the boiler you used for posting above, and update it to reflect the correct tax year. 🙂

Currently using TT 2023 H&B desktop. I previously marked the property as switched to personal use and now it's not showing up in the Rental and Royalty Properties. How do I get back there?

I don't understand what you mean by "boiler".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies