Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kham
Level 2

Basis for sale of home

I purchased a small home in 1985, and in 1996 bulldozed it to build a larger home on the same lot.

I have keep good records of expenses during these years that can be used to adjust the basis.

However...not sure about.....

How much of the cost of original house and land is included in the basis of the home which was sold in 2022.

The 2022 tax records will show that the preserved lot was worth more than the original purchase price.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
maglib
Level 11

Basis for sale of home

@Kham    The whole cost would be part of the basis.

Your adjusted basis is generally your cost in acquiring your home plus the cost of any capital improvements you made, less casualty loss amounts and other decreases. For more information on basis and adjusted basis, refer to Publication 523, Selling Your Home. If you financed the purchase of the house by obtaining a mortgage, include the mortgage proceeds in determining your adjusted cost basis in your home.

You may be able to exclude from income all or a portion of the gain on your home sale. If you can exclude all of the gain, you don't need to report the sale on your tax return, unless you received a Form 1099-S, Proceeds From Real Estate Transactions. To determine the amount of the gain you may exclude from income or for additional information on the tax rules that apply when you sell your home, refer to Publication 523. You must report on your return as taxable income any capital gain that you can't exclude.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
Carl
Level 15

Basis for sale of home

Basically, your entire original purchase price gets allocated to the land, and the cost of the new structure is allocated to the structure.

Example:

Purchase price for house & Lot - $100,000

Demolished house, built new house for $50,000

Cost basis for the land - $100,000

Cost basis for the structure - $50,000

Total cost basis - $150,000

This is just a rough. There are other variables that can come into play. For example, any property improvements you may have done to the old structure, or if you rented out the old structure at any time before you demolished it, that will affect the cost basis.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies