turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Added a new air conditioner to a rental property

I added this at the end of the expenses section, under Other Expenses. Is this correct? I was not sure where to put it, repair vs improvement. But TurboTax did not ask me about improvements, only maintenance and repairs.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

No, air conditioners are classified as improvements and depreciated over the useful life. See link below, Ch. 2, page 5, Table 1-1

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello. The question above was where to actually put the "improvement" deduction? Turbo Tax actually asks about expenses, but not improvements. I am facing the same question this year. Please advise. Thank you!
Lady Dii

Is a new central air conditioner unit on a rental house depreciated 7 years or 27.5 years 

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If you installed a window air conditioner, for instance, you could deduct the cost under Rental Expenses.

If you installed a central air conditioning system ,however, that is considered a Capital Improvement and would be depreciated for 27.5 years, the same as the rental property itself.

If this is your situation, here's info on how to add an improvement as a Rental Asset

Go to Assets/Depreciation from the Rental Summary screen.  

You may have the option to expense certain improvements under the Safe Harbor Election for Small Taxpayers. When you begin the Assets/Depreciation section, TurboTax will ask you about this. If you want to deduct the cost fully this year, answer "yes" to include the this election on your return.

If your improvements don't qualify, or you simply wish to depreciate the cost over 27.5 years, continue through the Depreciation interview to set up a new asset.

More detailed information on rental expenses can be found at https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc414.

Carl
Level 15

If this is a window unit then it's classified as equipment or as an appliance and depreciated over 5 years. Otherwise if it's a central A/C unit then it's classified as residential rental real estate (since it becomes "a material part of" the property) and depreciated over 27.5 years.

db541
Returning Member

I could use some accelerated depreciation on a rental property.  I've installed new "mini-split" air conditioning units that are somewhere between window and central air.  Any chance I can depreciate these over a shorter than 27 year period?  Each, including installation, about $7500.

Thanks.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

HVAC now qualifies for Section 179 expense deduction; however, in order to take advantage of it your property will have to show a profit.  As for depreciation, if they are part of the central HVAC system you have to depreciate them over 27.5 years.  If they are stand alone units, more like window AC units (i.e. not a part of the structure of the building) then you can depreciate them over a seven year period.

bigbunny101
Returning Member

Do you have a link to documentation where it states that new HVACs can be deducted based on section 179? I talked to a CPA he was not aware.

MRGREEN

so you depreciate it over 27.5 years even if the new one might only last 10-15 years.  Do you keep depreciating that one even in 10 years you have to replace another one?

@bigbunny101   

On HVACs in nonresidential property qualify.  HVAC for residential rentals does not qualify for section 179.

@MRGREEN 

Yes, it is depreciated over 27.5 years.  No, you don't keep depreciating it after it is gone.  When the old AC is gone, you report that disposition (essentially you sold it for $0) and the undepreciated amount will show up as a loss on Form 4797.

Carl
Level 15

I do not know how the below is dealt with on *commercial* rental real estate, as I've not researched it. But I would expect it to be treated exactly the same as is required for *residential* rental real estate.

There is a different kind of A/C system referred to as "ductless". With this type of system a single compressor unit is located outside of the structure. Then individual cooling units are located inside one or more rooms of the house. You only have about a 2" hold in the wall or ceiling for the refrigerant lines to pass through to the compressor located outside. Hence, no air ducts.

These types of units are generally more economical because each inside unit has it's own thermostat and only operates when activated by the thermostat. These ductless setups are treated exactly the same as any other central A/C setup. The ductless units are not portable and do "in fact" become a physical part of the structure. So they classified as residential rental real estate and depreciated over 27.5 years. Take note that this does *not* qualify for the Special Depreciation Allowance either.

As for the SEC179 deduction, residential rental real estate and it's associated assets do not qualify for that at all.

@bigbunny101 Here's the link 

@Carl Your expectation is wrong; it's not treated the same as residential rental real estate.

SULKERAY

We changed our broken HVAC SYSYTEM for rental property. We paid 5080 dollar to the AC company. I tried to depriciate for 27 years it comes " 0" DEPRICIATION.  Can you please help me. I tried everything.  Can I take as a expense whole amount and done wit it.   

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

When you are entering the details for the Asset for depreciation, be sure that you have indicated 100% business use.  

The total cost is too high to be able to use the De Minimis Safe Harbor election, you will need to depreciate it as an Asset.

@SULKERAY

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies