Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Owner occupied 4plex with two owners

I co-own a 4 unit property with my daughter. We are equal owners of the building (50/50). I live in one unit which is 1,845 square feet (41%) of the total building area of 4,522 square feet. My daughter has a hair salon in one of the units which is 1,064 square feet (24%) of the building area. The other two units, 756 (17%) square feet and 857 (19%) square feet, are rented to tenants. I also have a home office in my unit (24%) of the 1,845 square feet, and my daughter's entire unit is her hair salon-it is a business she is the owner of-it is not a residential unit.

How do we calculate the expenses? Items such as snowplowing, lawn care, property insurance, trash removal, etc. benefit the entire property. Mortgage interest obviously is for the entire building. Each unit has its own metered water and sewer which the tenant is responsible for. Each unit has its own heat system and electrical meters which the tenant is responsible for. I am not sure if we just split the rent and expenses and overall depreciation equally, or remove our ownership percent and split the the rent from the tenants and the percentage of the building attributed to the tenants. In that case, do we lose the depreciation that would be allocated to my unit and to her unit?

The value of the structure (not including the land) is approximately $200,000.

Since I live in one of the units can, or should, my daughter charge me rent, and can, or should, I charge her rent?  We do both contribute to the cost of the mortgage and taxes and insurance beyond what the rental income does not cover.

Any information or thought would be appreciated. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You need to treat this building as 4 separate units  and  YOU will need to divide all common expenses yourself using the correct percentages you already computed.  The program will NOT do this for you in your mixed use situation.   Keep good records so that completing both of your returns is easy.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You need to treat this building as 4 separate units  and  YOU will need to divide all common expenses yourself using the correct percentages you already computed.  The program will NOT do this for you in your mixed use situation.   Keep good records so that completing both of your returns is easy.  

Thank you for your reply. Do we fill out 4 separate Schedule E forms, one for each unit and label them as (Address) Apt1, (Address) Apt2, (Address) Apt 3, etc?

Sort of ... YOU live in one unit so that doesn't go on the Sch E  and the one your daughter uses for her business is listed on the Sch C.  There are times when using a DIY program is not wise and this is one of them ... you both should go on extension and then seek local professional assistance to get all this set up correctly so you don't have a mess on your hands later.  

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I do appreciate it and your advice as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies