Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

air3101

Nonresident Withholding on Rental Sale - South Carolina

I sold a rental property I owned in South Carolina in 2016.  I am no longer a resident in South Carolina and did not live in the house for 3 of the last 5 years.  I have completed the questionnaire on the Federal side to determine rents and capital gains.  I have applied both amounts to my South Carolina return; however, during the closing they withheld a portion of the proceeds (Form I-290  South Carolina Department of Revenue - Non Resident Real Estate Withholding).  I can not find anywhere on the State Income questionnaire to input the 7% that was withheld.  Can you advise where in TurboTax this should be inputted?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
ToddL

You enter those taxes withheld in the "Other Income Taxes" interview (see attached screenshot).

(This is where you enter state and local taxes that were withheld during 2016 but not reported on Form W-2, 1099, W-2G, etc. For example, state and local taxes that were withheld when you completed a real estate transaction).

air3101

That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for; however, I do not have the option of that last item.
air3101

I'm using the Turbo tax premier online.  In the Federal section, I would've thought it would've been in other tax form section but it is not.  In the state, I looked in the "Other situations" section and it was not there either.  Any other thoughts?
ToddL

"Other Income Taxes" is in Deductions and Credits section, Estimates and Other Taxes Paid. I'll attach sample screenshots from 2014 TurboTax Premier.
air3101

I found it using your screenshots!  Thank you!
ToddL

Glad I could help!

I do not see any screen shots on this. I have same exact scenario in 2020. for MD state

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Your additional state withholding can be entered in TurboTax Premier in Federal Taxes, Deductions and Credits, Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, Income Taxes Paid, Other Income Taxes Paid in 2020, Withholding not already entered on a W2 or 1099:

This will automatically apply the withholding to your state return.

sushi_lover_100
Returning Member

In TurboTax 2021, doing this automatically populates SC1040 line 16 (South Carolina Income Tax Withheld)  rather than line 19 (Non-Resident Sale of Real Estate).  

I'm wondering if I should leave the "Other Income Taxes Paid" area on the Federal Form blank, and just add it in the SC return "South Carolina Taxes and Credits -> Sale of Real Estate By A Non-Resident" which populated SC1040 correctly. 

I can't tell of the "Other Income Taxes" section of the federal form does anything other than populate the South Carolina form.

sushi_lover_100
Returning Member

@JeffreyR77 In TurboTax 2021, doing this automatically populates SC1040 line 16 (South Carolina Income Tax Withheld)  rather than line 19 (Non-Resident Sale of Real Estate).  

I'm wondering if I should leave the "Other Income Taxes Paid" area on the Federal Form blank, and just add it in the SC return "South Carolina Taxes and Credits -> Sale of Real Estate By A Non-Resident" which populated SC1040 correctly. 

I can't tell of the "Other Income Taxes" section of the federal form does anything other than populate the South Carolina form.

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Perhaps your first option was best.  If the amount in question is also entered on your federal return, then it will likely affect your federal return as well.  If all you want is for the tax payment to be reflected on your SC return only, then leaving the Federal Other Income Taxes Paid blank is probably your best option.  

@sushi_lover_100

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies