Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My stock capital gains and losses is reporting on a state return I do not want it to. How do I select ALL the transactions to not apply to the other state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

My stock capital gains and losses is reporting on a state return I do not want it to. How do I select ALL the transactions to not apply to the other state return?

All state tax returns use the federal tax return as a starting point for calculating state taxes. It doesn't make any difference whether you are filing part-year, full-year or non-resident state returns - you have to start every state return with whatever is reported on your federal return.

If there is income on your federal return (e.g. capital gains or losses) that does not apply to a particular state return (e.g. a non-resident return), you will have to  make an adjustment (allocation) in that state's tax interview to keep it from being taxed.  Even if it is not subject to tax by your non-resident state, you still have to start by reporting it on that state's return.

Thank you.  The problem is, is that every single  stock trade transaction is showing up on the PA-state return there will be close to 500 transactions.  It is not feasible to go into each of those 500 "items" and tell it not to be included on the PA state return as income/loss.......

Thank you.  The problem is, is that every single  stock trade transaction is showing up on the PA-state return there will be close to 500 transactions.  It is not feasible to go into each of those 500 "items" and tell it not to be included on the PA state return as income/loss.......

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

To eliminate the income on the PA tax return, you will have to answer the question for each transaction.

There is a choice to enter two summarized transactions on the federal return, one for long term sales and one for short term sales. A statement can be mailed with Form 8453 equivalent to the Form 8949.

You do not really need to mail Form 8949, but you do need to mail your

1. supporting statements, such as your brokerage statements (Form 1099B) and
  2. Form 8453.

See the image of the PA screen entry attached.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bill6464

I had the same problem with an Oklahoma state return.  I could find no way in Turbo Tax (TT) to get around this, since TT kept asking me to identify an Oklahoma property, which did not pertain to this stock sale.  Finally, one of the replies to the original question gave me a hint by indicating that this type of problem was handled in the state tax dialogue.  TT doesn't seem to have implemented this dialogue. I finally resolved this by opening up the underlying state form and found the state indicated to enter an  X in a certain column for transactions that didn't pertain to Oklahoma.  This resolved the problem and TT then reported no errors.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies