turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gcamp3887

My son gave me $2700. For watching over a rental property he owns. How do i file this income?

I need to report $2700.00 that my son gave me in 2018. Where do I add this to my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

My son gave me $2700. For watching over a rental property he owns. How do i file this income?

You can enter it as miscellaneous income.  Please see the following steps.

To enter the income:

1. Click on Federal on the left hand side of the screen in the black area
  2. Click on Wages & Income at the top of your screen
  3. Scroll down (  you may need to click on All Income) to Less Common Income
  4. Click on Show More
  5. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Income
  6. Click on Start
  7. Scroll down to Other reportable income and click Start
  8. Enter a description and income amount

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

You can enter it as miscellaneous income.  Please see the following steps.

To enter the income:

1. Click on Federal on the left hand side of the screen in the black area
  2. Click on Wages & Income at the top of your screen
  3. Scroll down (  you may need to click on All Income) to Less Common Income
  4. Click on Show More
  5. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Income
  6. Click on Start
  7. Scroll down to Other reportable income and click Start
  8. Enter a description and income amount

Hal_Al
Level 15

That will put the income on line 21 (schedule 1) of form 1040 as "Other income" and not as self employment income.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Because it's between close family members, you do not need to report that as income, unless your son used it as an expenses deduction on his return.

If he did, I'm of the opinion that it should be reported as self employment income and not as "other income" as described in the other answer. 

The IRS considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & medicare tax) on any profits greater than $400.

You may have to upgrade to the Self Employment version of TT. If you have no expenses to deduct, There's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe or Premier. Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc). You do not need the payer's ("employer's") Employer ID Number (EIN).

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc

When asked why you got the 1099-Misc, select “Rental manager”

Hal_Al
Level 15

TurboTax also has another free product called the Free File Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation and free State preparation. There is no efiling fee. It is not available after October 15
The Free file Edition can handle a 1099-MISC.
The Free file Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Free File Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot.  

For Free File Edition a user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:
•      AGI of $34,000 or less
•      or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2018 AGI of $66,000 or less
•      or eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC aka EITC).

The FREE FILE Edition is located at:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom">https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom</a>

How to switch and start over in Free file Edition
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition">https://ttlc....>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies