turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JJ_1
Level 3

My primary residence was converted to a rental years after I bought it. TurboTax is asking: "What kind of property is this loan secured by?" Should I select Primary Home?

When I bought my condo originally, it was my primary residence. If I converted to rental, what kind of property is the loan secured by? "Primary home" or "Other?"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
Carl
Level 15

My primary residence was converted to a rental years after I bought it. TurboTax is asking: "What kind of property is this loan secured by?" Should I select Primary Home?

Is this for a refi? I would assume so. If not a refi, let us know. Otherwise, select Other.

JJ_1
Level 3

Hello @Carl. No, this is not for refinancing. My loan hasnt changed at all since I bought the unit. Thanks!

Carl
Level 15

So there's something I'm not clear on here. If the property was converted to a rental years ago, and you didn't refi in 2021, I'm not understanding why you being asked that? Where are you in the program and what (in general) are you entering into the program when asked that question?

JJ_1
Level 3

@Carl, I'm in the Deductions & Credits section, doing my 1098.  I converted the unit to rental in 2019. I don't remember getting this question then.

In the section I'm on, it asks "Is this loan secured by a property you own?"

I say "yes" and then that's when it asks "What kind of property is this loan secured by?"

If I put "other" which says it's rental, I have to pay 3-4k in federal taxes but if I put "primary residence" which is what it was when I bought the property, I get this 3-4k back.

@JJ_1 

If this property is a rental, then you should be in the Rental Properties and Royalties section.

Carl
Level 15

I'm in the Deductions & Credits section

Do not enter the 1098 for that rental property in the Deductions and credits section. Everything "and I do mean "EVERYTHING") concerning your rental property is entered in the Rental & Royalty Income (SCH E) section of the program. For a property that was 100% rental the entire tax year with no personal use, there are no exceptions to this.

You'll be asked for 1098 information towards the end of the rental expenses section. That's where you will enter the 1098 for that property.

Make absolutely certain that you delete the 1098 from the Deductions & Credits section. Otherwise, you may have issues when dealing with the 1098 for your primary residence. (Not to mention you'll be double-dipping on deductions.)

JJ_1
Level 3

@Carl, thank you very much! It's what I expected. If I remove it from this section, I get that 3k due. Thanks!

JJ_1
Level 3

@Carl, sorry, one more question. If my property was rented only 3 months  out of the year, can I still add the information in Deductions and Credits section? Like pro-rated? Thanks.

You should still enter the property in the Rental Properties and Royalties section.

Carl
Level 15

If my property was rented only 3 months out of the year, can I still add the information in Deductions and Credits section?

What information and why? The property being rented out for only three months of the year doesn't matter. If the property was classified as residential rental real estate for the "entire" tax year, and there was no personal use, then your rental expenses are deductible for the "entire" tax year. All of them. Every single penny. That includes your advertising costs, utility costs and any other maintenance costs incurred for the 9 months it sat empty. The fact it may have only had a renter in it for 3 months is totally irrelevant.

Is your doctor's office open 7 days a week, 365 days a year? No, of course not. But when closed on weekends and holidays they still have to pay for the electricity to power the alarm and other systems. Water too if the office property has a sprinkler system.Just because the office is closed does not in any way mean it was not business use. Just like when restaurants were closed for several months during the shutdown, that did not in any way change the classification of the property from business use.

So just because you don't physically have a renter in the property for 9 months does not in any way mean it was "not" business use. All of your expenses are 100% deductible on SCH E.

JJ_1
Level 3

@Carl, let me clarify.

My property was CONVERTED to rental on 10/1/2019 AND rented out on the same day it was converted.

Prior to this, I was living in it full time as my primary residence. 

So my question was: if part of the year it was my primary residence and part of the year it was converted to rental and rented, do I only do Schedule E or do I plug in Schedule E information ALONG WITH primary residence deductions?

Carl
Level 15

My property was CONVERTED to rental on 10/1/2019

Now I'm really not following you. What does that have to do with your 2021 tax return? Or did you forget to tell us that you are using the Desktop version of TTX 2019 and working on your 2019 tax return? My screen shows that you are using the online version of TTX Premier which can only be used to complete and file a tax return for the current 2021 tax year.

JJ_1
Level 3

@Carl - sorry, let me clarify again.

I was doing my 2021 taxes but realized I need to fix my 2019 return because that was the year I converted my primary residence to rental.

I realized based on what you explained here that since rental property information should only be added to Schedule E, I needed to go back to 2019 to fix my return then because I had put Interest/Property tax deductions under the primary residence section when I shouldn't have.

So now I'm on 2019. Part of the year the unit was my primary residence and part of the year I converted it to rental and rented it on the same day.

So this is why I was asking if part of the year it was a rental and part of the year it was primary residence, do I need to plug in any info in deductions or ALL of it goes to Schedule E?

Carl
Level 15

So now I'm on 2019.

Aha! That makes all the difference in the world! After answering your questions, I've also provided "general guidance" below that, for the year of conversion. I assume you are amending your 2019 tax return. For future responses in this thread, please make the first thing you mention "I am using TTX 2019" so as to keep us both on the same page here.

Be aware also that when you amend your 2020 tax return, you will "NOT" be able to import the corrected data from your amended 2019 tax return. So you will have to print out your 2019 tax return to get the figures you will need to manually change yourself during the 2020 tax amendment process.

Using the Desktop version of TurboTax 2019 you have the choice of entering expenses for the entire year and letting the program do the splits for you, or you can elect to do the splits yourself. I suggest you elect to do the splits yourself, because the program is not capable of splitting "everything" correctly, and it's easy to miss the small print on various screens telling you what it can't split.

Basically, the general rental expenses entered are only those expenses incurred during the tax year, after it was converted to a rental. That's things like utilities, repairs, maintenance costs, ect. Costs incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent for that "very first time" are flat out not deductible at all. (Exceptions covered below)

These are the items that need to be pro-rated by you, assuming you elect the option to pro-rate manually yourself.

1. Property taxes paid in 2019 need to be prorated between SCH A for the period of time it was your primary residence, and SCH E for the period of time it was a rental. It does not matter if those property taxes were paid before or after it was converted to a rental. If property taxes were paid in 2019 (and I'm sure they were) then you pro-rate.

2. Mortgage interest paid in 2019 as shown on the 1098-Mortgage Interest Statement are prorated between the SCH A for the period of time it was your residence, and the period of time it was a rental.

3. Property insurance is pro-rated to the SCH E for the period of time it was a rental. Property insurance is "NOT" deductible on the SCH A for the period of time it was your residence. Again, it does not matter if the insurance was paid before or after it was converted to a rental. So long as it was actually paid in 2019, (and I'm sure it was) you can prorate a portion of it to SCH E for the rental.

Now, once you have completed amending the 2019 tax return and are ready to mail it, make sure you also save the amended return in PDF format. From that PDF you need to print out the following, as you will definitely need it for amending the 2020 tax return.

1. IRS Form 4562 that prints in landscape format titled "Depreciation and Amortization Report" for that specific property.

2. IRS Form 4562 that prints in landscape format titled "Alternative Minimum Tax Depreciation Report" for that specific property.

3. IRS Form 8582-Passive Activity Loss Limitations. Note that you may not have this form in your 2019 tax return, as depending on a number of factors it's perfectly possible you wont' have any passive loss limits since the property was converted the last quarter of the tax year.

Now for that "general guidance" I referenced above.

Rental Property Dates & Numbers That Matter.

Date of Conversion - If this was your primary residence or 2nd home before, then this date is the day AFTER you moved out, or the date you decided to lease the property – whichever is later.
In Service Date - This is the date a renter "could" have moved in. Usually, this date is the day you put the FOR RENT sign in the front yard.
Number of days Rented - the day count for this starts from the first day a renter was contracted to move in, and/or "could" have moved in. That would be your "in service" date or after if you were asked for that. Vacant periods between renters do not count for actual days rented. Please see IRS Publication927 page 17 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf#en_US_2020_publink1000219175 Read the “Example” in the third column.
Days of Personal Use - This number will be a big fat ZERO. Read the screen. It's asking for the number of days you lived in the property AFTER you converted it to a rental. I seriously doubt (though it is possible) that you lived in the house (or space, if renting a part of your home) as your primary residence, 2nd home, or any other personal use reasons after you converted it to a rental.
Business Use Percentage. 100%. I'll put that in words so there's no doubt I didn't make a typo here. One Hundred Percent. After you converted this property or space to rental use, it was one hundred percent business use. What you used it for prior to the date of conversion doesn't count.

RENTAL PROPERTY ASSETS, MAINTENANCE/CLEANING/REPAIRS DEFINED

Property Improvement.

Property improvements are expenses you incur that Improve, restore, or otherwise “better” the property. Basically, they retain or add value to the property.

Betterments:
Expenses that may result in a betterment to your property include expenses for fixing a pre-existing defect or condition, enlarging or expanding your property, or increasing the capacity, strength, or quality of your property. An example of a pre-existing condition or defect in this context would be something such as foundation repair (slab jacking) or some other, hidden and costly, anomaly. Whereas fixing a broken handrail on the front step would not qualify as a betterment. It's a repair expense addressed below.
Restoration:
Expenses that may be for restoration include expenses for replacing a substantial structural part of your property, repairing damage to your property after you properly adjusted the basis of your property as a result of a casualty loss, or rebuilding your property to a like-new condition.
Adaptation:
Expenses that may be for adaptation include expenses for altering your property to a use that isn’t consistent with the intended ordinary use of your property when you began renting the property. Adding a wheelchair ramp would be an example.

Expenses for these types of costs are entered in the Assets/Depreciation section and depreciated over time. Property improvements can be done at any time after your initial purchase of the property. It does not matter if it was your residence or a rental at the time of the improvement. It still adds value to the property.

To be classified as a property improvement, two criteria need to be met:

1) The improvement must become "a material part of" the property. For example, remodeling the bathroom, new cabinets or appliances in the kitchen. New carpet. Replacing that old Central Air unit.

2) The improvement must retain or add "real" value to the property. In other words, when the property is appraised by a qualified, certified, licensed property appraiser, he will appraise it at a higher value, than he would have without the improvements.

There are rules that allow you to just flat-out expense and deduct some property improvements instead of capitalizing and depreciating them, if the total cost of the improvement was less than $2,500. It’s referred to as “safe harbor di-minimis” But depending on the specific situation, this may or may not be beneficial. Just be aware that not every property improvement that cost less than $2,500 qualifies for this. If this interest you, the rules can get complex. So a good place to start reading is on the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tangible-property-final-regulations. The stuff on di-minimis starts about one page down.

Cleaning & Maintenance

Those expenses incurred to maintain the rental property and it's assets in the usable condition the property and/or asset was designed and intended for. Routine cleaning and maintenance expenses are only deductible if they are incurred while the property is classified as a rental. Cleaning and maintenance expenses incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent for the very first time are not deductible.

Repair

Those expenses incurred to return the property or it's assets to the same usable condition they were in, prior to the event that caused the property or asset to be unusable. Repair expenses incurred are only deductible if incurred while the property is classified as a rental. Repair costs incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent for that very first time are not deductible.

Additional clarifications: Painting a room does not qualify as a property improvement. While the paint does become “a material part of” the property, from the perspective of a property appraiser, it doesn’t add “real value” to the property.

However, when you do something like convert the garage into a 3rd bedroom for example, making a  2 bedroom house into a 3 bedroom house adds “real value”. Of course, when you convert the garage to a bedroom, you’re going to paint it. But you will include the cost of painting as a part of the property improvement – not an expense separate from it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies